S i x

Under the order of the King, the soldiers were put to work to rebuild back the social and economic infrastructures that were destroyed, to give back and to compesate for the things that were stolen and broken, and to reduce taxes. Although confused by the sudden change of the King's temperament, the citizens were thankful albeit not everyone, for the scars were still there in their hearts.

The King had been ruling ruthlessly for ten years; they were too many damages that he had done, too many lives that he had taken, and too many wars that he had started—the citizens would have to be a literal saint to forgive all of his bad deeds and moved on with life just like that.

A day after the King's sudden change from being a tyrant, a news was spread that the cause of the King's sudden kindness was because he had fallen in love with a maiden and had promised her to change for the better. This made the citizens more curious and upon investigation, they were convinced that the said maiden was the daughter of (L/n), lest how would you explain the enormous pieces of jewelry and golds that were sent to the couple by the King's messenger?

Despite that, the rebels still haven't stop causing troubles to make other people join them in their "abolition of the royal government." Yes, you wanted to understand them. They hated the King to the core, you get that, but you're also trying to reduce the amount of people dying each day and provoking him at this moment wouldn't be a wise idea. At least wait until you stabilized the situation, damn it!

Fortunately, your father was wise enough to lay low despite being in the organization. He even sent you a letter that he's alright and that he will definitely make a good use of all that wealth you send back home. Of course, he also told you something about escaping but that's impossible unless you wanted Fierté to burn his people to crisp in his journey of searching for you.

A soft smile graced your lips as you folded the letter, happy to know that your parents were alright.

Though, you surely were not alright.

A look of boredom immediately appeared on your face as soon as you put the letter in the drawer.

You did not know why but Fierté suddenly had a change of heart with you and started to dote on you like how he used to—or maybe even more than that—and for that reason, he had fired all of the servants in the castle, men and women, and now, the only people who kept the palace clean aren't even humansーthey are homunculi made by a certain mage.

You also asked the whereabouts of the General and 1522, but the King merely smiled as if they were just a figment of your illusion, thank god you're not that easy to gastlight.

Still, you couldn't find them.

"(Y/n)?"

You turned to look at the caller to see the King beaming at you as he brought a tray of food, putting it on the desk.

"What were you doing?" He took a seat beside you on the bed, looking giddy with joy.

"I was thinking," you drawled, watching the curiosity in his eyes. "For how long do you want to keep me captive in here?"

As expected, his expression sank.

"Don't get me wrong," like coaxing a whimpering dog, you ran your hair through his golden hair. "I know that you want me to stay by your side, but isn't this too much? All I have done these past few days are eating, reading, and sleeping—forget about being called a grandpa, I'm going to become a pig at this rate."

"How is that bad?" He tilted his head, looking cute yet alluring at the same time.

Oh lord, you have never believed in perfection, but currently, you were starting to consider that; how does he keep his cheeks as smooth and flawless like that? And those grey eyes—you have seen grey eyes before but not this captivating.