Chapter 4: Strike

Start from the beginning

"It's a good idea!" Jack shot back in defense.

"Jack, I was only joking. We can't go on strike, we don't have a union." David told Jack, walking up to us.

"But, if we go on strike, then we are a union, right?" Jack asked him.

"No, we're just a bunch of angry kids with no money. Maybe if we got every Newsie in New York, but..." David started as everyone looked at him. "Flip, help me out here." He begged as everyone now turned their heads to me.

"Sorry, David." I told him as he sighed. "We organize." I started, standing up. "Crutchy, you take up a collection." I told him as I walked over to him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Swell." Crutchy said as he started to walk away.

"We'll get all the Newsies in New York together." I told the boys as Jack and I walked towards the gate.

"Jack, Flip, this isn't a joke. You saw what happened to those trolley workers." David told us as the Newsies all stood behind him.

"Yea, well that's another good idea. Any Newsie who don't join with us, then we bust their heads like the trolley workers!" Jack exclaimed as the boys started following us out of the gate.

"Guys, stop and think about this." David said, walking up to me and Jack. "You can't just rush everybody into this." He told us.

"Alright. Let me think about it." Jack told him as we walked to the square. "Listen, Davey's right. Pulitzer and Hearst and all them other rich fellas, I mean, they own this city, so do they really think a bunch of street kids like us can make any difference?" Jack asked us all as everyone stayed quiet.

"This choice has to be yours and yours only. Are we just gonna take what they give us, or are we gonna strike?" I asked, walking to Jack's side as no one said nothing.

"Strike!" Les shouted as David covered his mouth.

"Let's do it!" Blink exclaimed as all the boys shouted in agreement.

"Keep talking guys, tell us what to do!" Boots exclaimed, listening.

"Yea, tell us what to do." Specs said as Jack and I walked up to David.

"Well, you tell us what to do Davey." Jack said to him.

"Ye, come on, Dave, tell us what to do." Skittery said as David sighed.

"Hey listen! Pulitzer and Hearst have to respect the rights of the working boys and girls of New York!" I shouted as everyone cheered.

"Tell them that they can't treat us like we don't exist." David told Jack as he and I got on top of the statue, looking at the Newsies.

"Pulitzer and Hearts, they think we're nothing. Are we nothing?" Jack shouted.

"No!" all the Newsies shouted back.

"If we stick together like the trolley workers, then they can't break us up." David told Jack as someone gave Jack and I each a stack of papes to sell. Jack and I grabbed the papes, ripping them up and throwing them onto the ground.

[JACK]
Pulitzer and Hearst, they think they got us. Do they got us?

[NEWSIES]
No!

"We're a union now, the newsboys union. We have to start acting like a union." David told us.

[FLIP]
Even though we ain't got hats or badges, we're a union just by saying so...And the world will know!

"What's to stop someone else from selling our papes?" Boots asked Jack and me.