dix-neuf

chapter nineteen - sugar ( part 1 )

a/n: fluffy shit boyos

two weeks later, it was a friday in mid-october and mike decided to take will on their very first date ever since they met. that week before it, max and the group constantly teased them, and of course, insensitive classmates considered their relationship disgusting. it was the eighties after all.

will and mike could care less.

mike was giddy with every passing day. just the thought of will byers was enough to send him into a lovesick trance and it was so wonderful. sure, they were only kids. sure, at fourteen it was hard to understand the depth of love. and indeed, mike and will didn't understand the concept.

but they wanted to try.

with each other.

friday night at 8pm, mike wheeler sat on his bed, fiddling with his walkie-talkie, and decided to call will.

"will, are you in? over."

will byers had been reading moby-dick when he heard the voice of the boy he was head over heels for. his eyes lit up and he smiled as he rushed over to his desk in the corner, shutting his book to answer.

"i'm here mike! uh-over."

the raven on the other end melted at his squeaky little voice.

"can you sneak out? over."

mike cringed. he forgot joyce was overprotective. there was a long pause on the other end.

"yeah, i'm comin' over. over."

"wha-no! will, i'll p-pick you up... over."

"why? over."

"because- w-we're gonna go on like, i don't know, a date...? uh-shit-over."

will giggled internally, he felt he was going to explode and, oh, god it was all because of that raven-haired weirdo named mike wheeler.

"o-okay, i'll be ready in twenty, over and out."

"o-over and out, babe."

thank god he didn't hear that, mike thought as the line clicked. he was so ecstatic, so excited as his cheeks flushed cherry. he rummaged through his dresser drawers and closet, and it took mike seventeen outfits to put on the right one. deciding on a light blue polo shirt, black skinny jeans and this brand new black corduroy and leather jacket that he thought looked really cool. when he was content with his outfit, he brushed his teeth and combed his raven hair in the left direction, and slipped on a grey-knit beanie, because the night seemed a little cold.