Chapter 1

Liam's POV

"Absolutely not!"
"Why is she here?"
"I was told she wouldn't be here!"
"What is this!"

Liam sighed. The Five Rulers were in his palace, having a meeting about the constant war waging between the Styles and Tomlinson's.

"Can you just be quiet for one minute!" Mr.Malik snapped. "Liam has a suggestion."

"Thank you Mr Malik. Now as you know my father passed recently handing the Payne faction to me."

"I know dear, and I'm so sorry for your loss." Anne said sympathetically.

"Thank you Mrs Styles."

"Anne dear, call me Anne." She waffled.

I smiled and continued. "It was his last wish that the Five Factions be reunited once again. I am here to see that this does indeed happen. When we are spilt we are weak. If someone was to attack Modest! what would we do? Hmm?" I eyed Jay and Anne. "We would fall. United we stand, divided we fall. These Kingdoms were not made to be spilt!"

I paused to let my words sink in.

"No offence love, but I am older than you and I have more experience than you. What makes you think you can sort all of our problems out? You are just a boy, barely a man and you have only sat this table a few times while I have sat here numerous times."

"Mrs Tomlinson, of course I would not deny you are older and therefor have more experience but I would argue I have more sense. If you could only look at the damage you are causing this land you would stop this petty war! I may be young but I am not a boy. Nor without any experience. I have attended many of these meetings with my father, I have listened to everyone's council and have debated matters with my father. When you were first seated at this table, Mrs Tomlinson did you argue your opinion or sit there because you were "inexperienced"? The only way to become experienced is to get out there and experience it! One day your son will sit this table. Niall has already taken his seat from his father," I gestured to my right where Niall sat. "Zayn will soon take his place from his father," I gestured to my left to where Mr Malik was sitting. He nodded in approval as I continued," And Gemma will take Anne's place. And we will be the new rulers. Do you really want your son to plan war and killing people for something that happened a god damn near century ago!?"

She glared at the glossy white marble table she was sitting at. The fire cracked nosily in the silence and echoed through the room, tearing the silence apart.

"And so," I went on as it was evident no one else was going to speak, "to honour my fathers death I suggest a marriage between the kingdoms."

"Liam, son do you know what you're asking?"

"Yes, Mrs-Anne, I do. I am asking you to give up war and settle for peace."

"What do you think?" Came the heavily accented blonde voice to the right of me.

"I would need to think about this..."

I nodded. That was a start. They were going to think about it.

"A week should be enough. You are welcome to stay here if you wish. We shall meet here next week at 7pm. Meeting adjourned. Thank you for coming and I beg, do consider it. What do you have to lose?"

I rose from my plush, red velvet, high backed chair and walked out of the huge oak door.

"Good evening sir, how are you this day?"

"Fredrick, lovely. Would you like to accompany me to my chambers?"

"Oh, yes sir."

"How are you?"

"I am well sir, how did the meeting go?"

I sighed and looked at my most trusted advisor. Fredrick. He was old around 60/70. He was small and bald and wore spectacles on the tip of his rather large nose. He had thin lips that were always pouted and excessive worry lines on his forehead Permanently.

"I'm not sure. I think badly."

"What happened?" He pressed.

"They didn't exactly love the idea."

"Sir, you knew they wouldn't like it. They were raised to hate each other. You're asking them to stop what comes so natural."

"They didn't want to listen to me. If it had of been my father they would of..."

"No doubt, everyone loved and respected your father. He was always full of wisdom. Always so honourable. Always seemed to make the right choices." Fredrick smiled at the thought of the late Mr Payne.

I whined, "See! How can I live up to that! He was perfect! Always did right!
"Mr Liam, I worked with your father for many many years. And let me tell you, he didn't always do right. No one can. But he always went with what decision he thought was best. And if it was the wrong one he would make the best from the bad situation. When he started at the table do you think he was accepted and so full of wisdom? No. Being new to the table is hard. But that is part of it. You have to fight to be respected and fight for them to hear your voice. Over time you gain the knowledge to make wise decisions. Your father did exactly what you are doing now. He fought. Valiantly.
And he wasn't so wise back then. You are doing much better than he was, let me tell you." He chuckled.

"Do you think so?"

"I know it Sir."

They arrived at Liam's floor and Fredrick said goodbye.
"Thank you, Fredrick."

"Anytime Mr Liam."