dix-huit

chapter eighteen - get well soon, i love you

"hop in," said nancy wheeler to her little brother, her nervous little sibling

"hop in," said nancy wheeler to her little brother, her nervous little sibling. she watched him grow shaky and fiddle with his fingers before he sat in the passengers seat of his mother's car. "mike, you're such a dork," she concluded with a chuckle, stepping on the gas with such force that they both jerked back in their seats. the raven boy sure wasn't himself. he didn't make a slight comment about nancy's driving, or nancy's insult. mike was never not in the mood to bicker with his sister. tonight, however, he'd been anxious.

tonight, mike was going to talk to will.

alone.

just them.

shit.

"nance, i can't do this!" mike exclaimed suddenly. the boy ran a hand through his hair and frantically opened the car door while it was speeding down the road.

"mike, are you fucking crazy?!" the brunette's eyes widened. on instinct, as soon as she could, she slammed her little feet onto the brakes. nancy's head flew back, she panicked, she screamed. her brother did, too, he yelled at the top of his heart-shaped lungs. tires skidded against the asphalt road, sparks lit up the night and— unfortunately, as the vehicle came to a halt, michael wheeler practically flew out the door and onto the grassy plains.

"mike?! shit shit shit!"

pain, pain, excruciating pain. he seemed to have vomited his heart out of his chest. mike groaned and screamed, struggling, struggling, nails and fingers gripping the verdant grass and taupe-colored dirt. red dripped from his nostrils. "fuck!" he yelled out, vision clouded. mike couldn't see a single thing. the world was but a blur, and mike was but a speck of dust. his left arm was limp and numb, and soon, he realized, he couldn't move it at all.

"nancy!" he cried, tears staining his face.

"mike," she replied worriedly, running toward him on the plains beside the barren hawkins road, "you absolute fuckin' idiot i thought you died! what the fuck is wrong with you?!"

"i-i'm s-sorry— agh, shit!" nancy noticed her brother's arm almost immediately; carefully she held it in her grasp as he grunted in agony.

"it's broken," nancy said, "come on we're taking you to the hospital." mike protested, but nancy only shook her head and carried him piggyback style, hoisting his lifeless body onto her shoulders. the strong brunette girl lifted her brother into the backseat of the car. "goddamnit, mike," she said running a hand through her hair. hit the gas and they went at full speed to the hospital.