2. Sierra meets her second cousin

Sierra was reluctant to call Megan and tell her the bad news but she had no choice. She was leaving tomorrow whether or not they liked it. The phone rang dully for a minute until a familiar voice picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Megs its Sie,” Sierra said over the phone.

“Hey what’s up? You excited about crashing California?”

“Um that’s why I called,” she hesitated for a moment “my parentals won’t let me go.”

“What?! Are you kidding me Sie?!” Sierra held the phone away from her ear as her friend cussed down the line.

“Sorry about that Sie, but is that true?”

“I’m not kidding; I wish I was but it’s true. Instead they have me going to stay with a cousin I’ve never met.”

“Hmm that sounds alright. Do you know anything about him?”

All I know is that he lives in this run-down town called Lake Wakan and is an engineer.”

“Oh a nerd hey? Could be fun,” Megan admitted, Sierra was tempted to sigh.

“Hey how long are you gone for anyway? Maybe we can come crash for a night?”

“Sounds good,” Sierra glanced around to see if the parents were around before adding, “But I would have to ask Reynard if it’s cool with him and the parentals can’t know about it.”

“He he got you,” Megan said, “I’ll wait for your call.”

“But seriously, I am sorry about having to tell you this news at late notice, it sucks.”

“Oh well, what can we do? It won’t be the same without you, but we’ll make sure to come once we figure out where this Lake whatever place is.”

“Alright, make sure you have fun without me then.”

“Sure, I will tell the others the sad news, they will miss you too,” Megan added. Sierra let her mouth smile.

“Thanks Megs you are the best.”

“Of course,” her friend agreed laughing, “catch you later!”

“Bye,” Sierra said before her friend hung up.

The night flew by and before Sierra had time to take in her last day at home for a  whole three weeks before being transported to an unknown part of the country.

“Make sure you keep your wallet and your license on you at all times,” her dad said while they waited for the bus.

“Put plenty of sunscreen on,” her mum said squeezing her cheek, “your skin is too soft to be burnt by the sun.”

Don’t hook up with any of the guys,” his wife and his daughter stared at him.

“I am just saying…”

“Oh honey Sierra is seventeen almost eighteen in a couple of weeks. I’m sure that she will meet lovely boys that will treat her right.” Sierra rolled her eyes at her mum.

“Mum, I doubt it,” she said. Her mum hugged her tightly.

“Of course you will,” her mum said as the bus drove into the stop. Sierra’s dad looked at his daughter before hugging her and planting a kiss on her head.