Nightmares were better

Start from the beginning

  As much as I wanted to do just that, the first part of me kept urging me to go on and open the door that stood but a few paces ahead of me. But I was scared, and the sudden surge in speed of my heart's beating showed it.

I placed my hand on my heart and tried to ease it by taking long but slow, deep breaths.

"You can do this Zack" I reassured myself, "You can do this"

  And I looked up at the door, now absolutely certain that I wanted to this. But before I walked even two steps forward, the lights went out.

"Oh god no" I whispered, now more scared than ever. "Not this, please no"

But this was the reality, and now I found myself engulfed in total darkness.

  Now I was almost trembling, but suddenly I remembered that the nurse kept my phone in one of the drawers in my room.

  Trying to keep my cool, I walked over to where I figured the dressing table was, and sure enough, I got there. Except I walked straight in to it.

"Ah!" I gasped, bending over from the impact.

  This was why getting injured in hospitals was an equal possibility as opposed to getting injured outside of them.

  I ran my hand across the dressing table and eventually came up on the handle of the drawer. "Yes!" I celebrated, pulling open the drawer.

  I poked around and eventually felt something that seemed to be my phone. I pulled it out and pressed where the home button should have been, and like a miracle the phone turned on.

I flinched from the attack of the light and looked away, covering my eyes.

  A few seconds later I squinted open my eyes and not too much time later my eyes had adjusted to the light emitted from the phone.

Now I had to find the power switch to the floor I was on.

  I turned on the flash and went to the door, hesitating just momentarily before opening the door slowly.

  The door creaked open, shattering the silence that was in the hospital. I cringed, praying that no one heard that. A few seconds later, when I was certain no one had been disturbed, I walked out of the room, closing the door much more carefully than I had opened it.

  Now that I was in the hallway, I had to decide where I had to go to get to the power switch. From the general knowledge I had, I knew the hospitals in the area had a power switch for every floor, and all of those were controlled by a central power switch connected to the generators, with the central power switch on the first floor, and the generators in the basement below.

  I didn't exactly know where the power switch to my floor was though, so I had to resort to roaming around, scared out of my mind.

  The floor I was on was like an endless maze, with seemingly infinite corridors. All I could do was take random lefts and rights, hoping to get somewhere.

  That's when I remembered the rooms on my level each had a number assigned to each other, and that the first room number on the floor was the floor number times hundred. So based on that memory, I aimed the flash at the room numbers, and I followed them as they decreased.

763....757....730

  A few minutes later I was at the door of room 700, and the elevator lay just a few steps ahead of me.

The power switch had to be here somewhere.

  I stepped forward cautiously and examined the walls, trying not to tremble from the fear of being alone in the dark.