I took a step away, hoping Yamamoto would let me go, but again, he stopped me.

"As long as you don't get in my way, you can stay."

My eyes widened. Was he really serious about that? I looked back at him, noticing Yamamoto tuck the book he was reading under his arm before he started scanning more books on the shelf.

As long as I don't bother him, I should be fine. Sure. Nothing could go wrong with that. Just ignore that he was right there. Don't create small talk, and everything was going to be fine. Just fine.

Let's start by checking out the bookshelf he's not looking at, I thought to myself. It was the best way of not bothering him. All I had to do was act like he wasn't there, right?

Unless he was going to kill me when I wasn't looking. I turned my head to look over my shoulder to find him standing there with his back facing me as he was scanning books. He definitely didn't look like he was going to kill me, but I also remember the day I met him. At first, Yamamoto was nice, but the moment our exam began, he quickly turned into someone who wouldn't think twice of tearing a person apart.

No. I just need to relax, I thought to myself. As long as I left him alone, I'd be fine, right? Right.

I turned back to look at the books on the shelves. Or, at least magazines that were there. The good thing about being born in America and living there for a good chunk of time was that I could read the titles to the magazines. It also helped knowing that Mom and Peter pretty much only talked in English, so most of my conversations at home were in English, not in Japanese. We had a lot of books and things that were written in English too, so seeing that these magazines were in English wasn't a big deal for me.

One by one, I pulled them out, trying to find something about Justice-Core. As luck would have it, there was nothing. Every article there was seemed to have nothing about him. It didn't make any sense.

Maybe there was something about him in a history text book or something. There was no way there could be nothing about him. If that was the case, then it was unfair for us to do a research project on him. Somewhere in this library, there had to be something about him. Right?

"Justice-Core, right?"

I jumped as I turned around and flung my arms into a protective position in front of my face. Yamamoto was standing right behind me, holding a book in his right hand. In his left arm, he held a couple of other books.

Seeing me react that way, Yamamoto raised an eyebrow. I slowly lowered my arms and slid my hands into the pocket in my blazer.

"Y-yeah," I said. "You're not going to, uh, hurt me, are you?"

Yamamoto rolled his eyes. "Only on the training grounds, Smith. We'd get in trouble if we were found using our Quirks outside the training grounds. Now, are you researching Justice-Core or not?"

I nodded my head.

"This has something in it that could help. Nothing in it about Weather Girl, so it's useless for my project," Yamamoto claimed.

As carefully as I could, I took the book from him and looked down at the title. The Forgotten Heroes. Of all the books to have something about Justice-Core, I wasn't surprised it would be this one.

"Thanks," I told Yamamoto as I looked up at him. "Look, about the first exam—"

"You did what you thought was best in the situation you were in," Yamamoto cut off. "Yeah, I get it. Learn from it next time so that if we're partnered up, you're not dragging me down, okay?"