A few minutes before midnight, Roger finally makes his move. He peels the redhead off of him and saunters over to the corner where Skylar is standing. She's finally alone. Roger gently touches her shoulder, and she turns around, her eyes softening.

Satisfied that all is about to be right in the world, I'm about to turn back to my conversation when I spot Roger's date make a beeline towards him. I hurriedly excuse myself from the conversation and weave my way through the crowd, cutting her off.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced, darling," I chirp, putting an arm around her shoulder and turning her towards the other side of the room.

Around us, the party is raging: champagne corks popping every few minutes as a new bottle is opened, music blaring, everyone starting to feel good. Roger and Skylar continue to chat, though obviously, I can't hear a word they're saying because I'm stuck entertaining Roger's date who, I assume, he didn't invite tonight for her conversational skills.

"Isn't he dishy?" she coos, looking over at Roger. She notices Roger take a half-step towards Skylar and a small frown forms on her pretty face.

"The dishiest," I reply drily, my eyes roving around the room until they meet Brian's, and I silently send him an SOS signal. He rolls his eyes, but heads over anyway.

"I think Mary is looking for you, Fred," Brian says, coming to my rescue like the legend that he is.

"Oh, is she?" I asked, brightly. "Brian, have you met Theresa?" I practically shove them together and whirl around to make my way through the drunken crowd.

Once I'm halfway across the room, Theo returns and puts a proprietary arm around Skylar's shoulder. To her credit, she tries to shrug out of his grasp, but I don't think Roger processes that. Theo says something to Roger, causing the drummer to take a step towards him. Skylar's eyes are going between the two men as if it's a ping pong match, a half-bemused, half-disgusted look on her face.

"Is he bothering you?" Theo says to Skylar, and I remember how annoying his voice is. Who even brought him here tonight?! From this day forth, my flat will officially be a no-Theo zone.

"Am I bothering-- Are you fucking kidding me?" Roger takes another step forward, and I know that look.

My bandmate is about to lose it.

Skylar senses that the situation is escalating quickly and says something softly, whether to Theo or Roger, I don't know. She puts a hand on Theo's arm to turn him away from Roger, likely hoping that creating distance between the two of them will defuse the tension. And it may have worked, but, after starting to walk away, Theo looks back over his shoulder and says something to Roger.

By this point, I'm practically shoving people out of my way trying to get to Roger before he does something stupid. I don't think that I'll make it in time but, luckily, manage to throw myself in between the two fellows at the last second.

Which, unfortunately for me, means that I bear the brunt of Roger's fist, which hits me squarely in the lower jaw.

"Mother! Fucker!" I thunder, glaring at Roger as I stagger back and I rub my jaw.

"You jumped in front of me!" he cries defensively, rubbing his knuckle and wincing in pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did my fucking jaw hurt your tender little hand? You stupid twat, we're going on tour in three days, what if can't play?"

"Stop fucking interfering in everything, Freddie, that fucker had it coming--"

At that moment, we both glance around and realize that both Skylar and Theo are gone. Roger rolls his eyes and shoves me lightly as he rushes past.

"Thanks a fucking heap, Fred," he mutters as he starts to make his way through the crowd. I watch his blonde head weaving towards the front door as I hear the crowd around me begin to chant.

5

4

3

2

1

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I stand there, rubbing my jaw as the room erupts in cheers and everyone is snogging the closest person. I spy a bottle of champagne on the table near me and grab it, taking a long swig. Good Lord, I'm exhausted by the theatrics of the past hour, even if it is all my fault.

"I told you not to meddle." I hear a knowing voice from behind me, just before Mary wraps her arms around my torso. I lean back into her for a moment, feeling her lips just next to my ear.

"Happy New Year, Freddie" she says softly. I wrap my arms behind me to envelop her tiny waist, holding her tight.

"Happy new year, darling."