Explanations

Hey guys! I'm up to 3,179 reads as of now which is amazing! I remember being excited when only one person was reading it. Thanks for your support! Mimi xx

Amelia held her breath as she felt the blade press up against her throat. She was terrified to even swallow for fear that the motion would result in her death. Immediate confusion gave way to overwhelming fear and she silently implored Henry sitting opposite her to do something, to do anything, to save her.

“Now sire, I need not warn you that if you make a false move, I will not hesitate to ensure her time with us is extremely brief.” Matthew’s voice was eerily calm as though he had rehearsed this speech many times before.

Henry’s jaw clenched, he sat back as far away from the entwined pair as he could. He knew that whatever Matthew wanted, he did not need Amelia to get it. Therefore, her life hung very much in the balance.

“What do you want?” he hissed gritting his teeth.

“Not to have to hurt either of you. Sign the document I have in my pocket and you may go free”

The carriage came to a sudden halt and Amelia heard angry shouts and the clanging of swords. Henry swiftly reached for the hilt of his sword but Matthew yanked her head back and pressed the dagger harder into her neck. She whimpered as it broke the skin, wordlessly begging Henry not to do anything rash.

“Stop!” he gasped releasing his sword “Let her go, she has no concern in this.”

Matthew did not reply, but released Amelia’s hair keeping the dagger in place. With his free hand he reached down and drew out a rolled piece of paper out of his trouser pocket, offering it to Henry.

Henry snatched and unfurled it. His eyes darted across the page and widened in shock as he finished.

“You want me to abdicate my throne?” he snarled, “You’re truly mad. The next in line is my cousin, do you work for him now you bastard?” 

“Thomas Townsend? It is amusing that you believe he could contrive such a plan. In fact…” Matthew peered out of the carriage window “I believe he is as we speak fighting on your side.”

“Then who?” Henry demanded, “Who of my family would dare commit such treason?”

“Enough.” Matthew ordered “You are no longer in a position to ask questions. Now, sign the paper and I won’t have to stain this beautiful carriage with the Queen’s blood.”

“Never.” Henry replied crushing the document in his fist. Matthew held Amelia tighter, giving him a challenging glare. For the first time a thread of doubt crept into her mind, it was entirely possible that Henry would not sign the contract.

“If you will not sign the abdication…then what of your wife?” Matthew asked slowly looking down at Amelia for the first time. She could not ensure Henry would guarantee her safety; she would have to find a way to save herself. Amelia’s eyes darted around the carriage, searching desperately for anything she could use to her advantage.

“I can easily find a new wife.” Henry replied crossing his arms over his chest.

Amelia felt her terror turn into a sudden fury. Not only was her husband incapable of protecting her from harm, he now was willing to sacrifice her life in favour of his royal throne.

Filled suddenly with a sense of resolution, Amelia drove her elbow as hard she could into Matthew’s groin. She felt the bite of the dagger as his arm jerked in surprise and pain. Henry drew his sword in a heartbeat now that Amelia was now free of Matthew’s grasp.