The Letter

Dear Becky 

I can't even remember the last letter I sent you. They must be better than the one I'm sending now. Surprise was the key to taking back Dieppe, everything they told us was simple. Ships would bring us to the beach at night and then we would climb the cliff. And attack the Germans, simply enough eh? 

It was cold as we waited for the other ships to arrive. Thomas and I were starting to get worried that the Germans would spot us. We waited for hours still nothing till daylight hits when the other ships started to arrive. This is when we set the attack forward, I thought we might of had a small chance of winning back the city.

Christopher stood among the front line. He didn't even have a chance to step forward into the water when the German's machine gun went off. People from back home my buddies were dropping like flies. I knew it was too late all we could do was try and make it to the cliff. It would be a safer place for now than my fellow warriors will make the climb of death. Darling, I wish I could not tell you this gruesome attack, but there is a reason I wish to tell you. 

Hugging the cliff was the only safe place for now, I only turned my head once towards the boats. Afterwards I wished I never had. The bodies of the soldiers lay in the bloody sea, on the sand that turned red with blood. Some that were hit crawled I wanted to run, when I have seen a boy I meet when I first arrived his name was Jason Rushton, he was only a teenager still had lots to see in the world but I knew that I couldn't. He cried out, tears swam in my eyes. It was too much for me to bear. Before I knew what happened, I had placed his arm around my neck to support him and ran back to the cliff. Luck was on my side that moment in time that either of us got hit with a bullet. I laid him down close to the cliff, there was a bullet in his side. He looked up at me, his eyes were fading as death was close by near the boy. He spoke two words that I will always remember. "Thank-you." 

The spark of life that was once there was gone now. I looked up at the great wall before we had to climb, with only one thing on my mind. The filthy Germans are going to pay Becky, I know it must be hard to hear but someone must read this. I fought hard, but I couldn't make it. I think back to the man who gave their lives to save this city, and here I am a prisoner of the Germans. Becky, I'm sorry, but I do not know how long till I see your face if, I will ever see your face again. Keep this letter and read it to our son when he is older so he knows how we were warriors and how we were heroes. 

Yours forever James

_________

I would love to hear what you think.