Ground Rules (for Love and War) - Pt.1/2

Start from the beginning

"Bless you," you muttered under your breath and eyed your tablet.

Tony was asleep as he had stayed awake until two a.m. working on the newest upgrade for the security of the Tower, so technically, you had time to enjoy your coffee in relative peace.

Naturally, peace was a short supply in the Tower, the home to the Avengers.

When Pepper had first offered you to simply move in since you spent the most time there, you had been reluctant. It had only been a week in and while you met some of the team-members, finding out they were far less intimidating than they presented themselves to the press, it sounded... overwhelming to stay there 24/7. However, you had been quickly persuaded after you nearly passed out, because your sleep schedule was a mess, consisting of either passing out on the couch in the Tower or making it home only to fall asleep before your head hit the pillow and being woken up by an urgent call from the Ironman himself two hours later.

Living in the Tower had its downsides and its upsides.

Downside was that it rarely got quiet and it was the perfect target for any supervillain as it had all of the Earth's mightiest heroes in one place. Constant supervision from an artificial intelligence was as reassuring as concerning.

As for the upsides... you hadn't expected to actually... befriend the Avengers. You certainly wouldn't guess that once Natasha Romanoff warmed up to you, she was a great friend, a female element alongside Pepper that the Tower and the team sorely needed. The times you bonded over the aforementioned men-children were one of the best in your life.

Clint was a lot of fun, though you had soon adopted the habit of making a pot of coffee just for him, since you were usually the one to get up from bed before him and talking to him pre-coffee was the risk equivalent of touching Sam's snacks.

Bruce... kept for himself a lot. But when he came out of his shell, either liberated by alcohol or when discussing science with Tony, he would radiate an aura anyone would be happy to bask in.

Sam was the ray of sunshine, gentle with a lot of fun stacked behind the chocolate eyes of his, but once he got into the same room and Bucky... oh boy.

The silently charming grumpy supersoldier added to the team in a way you wouldn't see coming – perfectly. Except when he and Sam were always in each other's hair. Always bickering. Sometimes resulting in a war. Occasionally funny; other times utterly annoying – right now, you felt like it was something in between.

"Good morning," sounded pleasantly from the door, where the last member of the peculiar household stood, seemingly hesitant.

Oh. Steve Rogers. That was right. Your biggest guilty pleasure. That man was a pure eye-candy, a body perfected by the serum only to protect the great man hiding in it. You didn't have many opportunities to truly know him; but whenever you saw him, he had an air around him, greatness and kindness, yet somehow fogged by modesty.

At times, he appeared sheepish almost, but always polite. To you anyway. His friends were a different story; it saddened you occasionally, that he didn't consider you a friend, not really giving you a chance, treating you differently. You suspected it was because you weren't a fighter; while assisting Tony nearly 24/7, it was obvious the billionaire tried his best to keep you away from the danger zone as much as possible.

The arms-long distance Steve Rogers kept you at was causing you a heart-ache at times, yet you had a feeling he didn't have any particular dislike for you; only that he treated you differently. Always polite. Always a pleasant interaction.

You couldn't help but smile at him, his usual running outfit and tousled hair giving away he was coming back from his everyday morning routine of what was probably like thirty miles or something.