chapter 2: surviving the dead

Azalia's pov

the once warm city of whiterun felt cold and bare, no soul in sight living or dead, everyone stayed close together, Festus and Gabriella stayed in the carriage, Babette and Nazir look threw windows of the burning building only seeing burnt up dead corpses, shadowmare seemed very calm, me and cicero gathered food from the stalls and put them in a bag or two in the carriage, Arnbjorn had his double sided battle ax ready, i had my bow out just in case i see one of the dead, we all decided to go to dragon's reach to see if there are any survivors, as we walk i hear the sounds of a cow? that's about it, we all walk more, Gabriella and Festus stayed with shadowmare and the carriage, we all walk quietly threw the abandoned city, i quietly use a detect life spell, if there are any dead then they will appear as blue glowing and if there are any living then they appear glowing red, after i did this my eyes go wide, the hall of the dead that looks like a building has fallen on the only entrance and all around it is glowing blue, like all the dead was pushed into the hall of the dead before it was blocked off on every side preventing the dead from coming out, no wonder there are no dead walking around, there are red figures in dragon's reach, all the survivors are there, this all cant be the carelessness of a necromancer right? as we get up the stars we see spiked barricades covered in blood and we easily pick up the barricade moving it aside to let everyone threw then put it back, there is no sign of blood here, no bodied in the water, i tried getting the door open but it was locked then i heard muffled voiced.

voice one: oh no they got threw the Barricades! 
Voice 2: shut up do you want them to here us?
woman's voice: nonononono! i dont want to die!
me: open up, its the dragonborn, there are no dead out here right now but its getting dark

 after i said that the doors swing open and the dark brotherhood who were dressed like normal people rushed in and the doors closed behind us.

Proventus: they have a child with them!

Balgruuf: thane is that truly you? and is this your family? 
me: yes jarl, this is my family, we are all safe
Balgruuf: were did you come from?
me: Dawnstar, the dead have not gotten that far yet, what happened here?
Balgruuf: the dead happened, they appeared out of nowhere, no sign of any mage or necromancer, we captured one of the dead though, follow me

Balgruuf seemed happy to see me, i hope i could help, i could not help but notice how dirty everyone looked, i sighed, Farengar was standing next to a table with one of the dead strapped to it by leather strips like rope, Farengar strokes his beard as he thinks, the dead trying to get free to attack as it growls and bits the air, it was terrifying to see, i then recognize the guy as Anoriath, i used to buy fresh meat from his stall..........now he is a flesh eating member of the dead, Farengar seems annoyed and irritated.

Farengar: this was not done using the magic of a necromancer, this is most troublesome to say the least 
Balgruuf: do you know how this happened?
Farengar: no, its like they just appeared

i sighed leaving the room and looked around and i noticed Aela sobbing with her group of the companions who survived 

Farkas: shh its going to be ok Aela, we will get threw this
Aela: how can i calm down?! your brother, my fiance is dead! we failed to protect one of the circle! 

she blurted out carelessly not caring who knows there secret, a woman from there group starts to calm her down some and i looked away, everyone has lost some one because of this nightmare they all have to live threw, i see cicero is entertaining the jarl's  children, Arnbjorn is leaning against the pillar by the huge doors, Babette is mixing potions, sadly all there dark brotherhood armor is back at the Carriage with Festus and Gabriella, i walked over too Babette.

me: do you have any sort of idea whats going on? Farengar said he has no idea of why this is happening, have you ever seen this before?
Babette: i have not, in all the centuries i've been alive i have never seen something like this, the dead walking and attacking people with no real cause, i believe its truly the end of the world and yet sadly i'm going to outlive you all, being immortal really is the worst, i mean i could try to join the vampires in Castle Volkihar, but that's only if you all die, if you have not noticed it but the dead seem to not want to attack me, a vampire, only you mortals
me: wait what?!? that's very interesting-