𝟏. 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

It's okay," He rolls his eyes playfully, chuckling. "How are you? And, wow, your hair!" And he said something about it. Last month I decided to chop my hair off, since I noticed it dying on me. Ricky didn't see me when it happened, though I told him about it. Of course he was teased he truly wanted to see it, but I never let him.

"Thank you, you like it? And I'm good!" I sighed. "And you?"

"Good." He replied. "And yes, you look beautiful." He smiled as I put my hand on my heart, scoffing.

"Thank you so much." I rolled my eyes playfully as we laughed, though it faded to a quick silence.

"How's your dad?"

"How's your mom?"

We both say at the same time. Instead of answering the question, we were both quiet for a couple of seconds, thinking of the right words to say.

"Good." We say in unison but we both knew that was bull. It was quiet again until his eyes brighten all of the sudden, excitement rushing through his face.

"Nini texted me!" He announced. I only smiled for the boy, knowing how this was going to go.

"Oh, really? What did she say?" I asked, a goofy smile plastered on his face.

"I don't really know. She was just there, y'know? Like she didn't say anything to hint anything bad. I'm going to try and talk to her about it today." He explains as I nod, listening to the story.

"Mhm, and if it doesn't go out well?" I tilt my head to the left, intertwining my fingers in front of me.

"It will," And I just believed his words for it. "But we gotta go, we have to drop by Big Red." I rolled my eyes as he walked passed me to go downstairs. I only followed, running downstairs, pass the living room and kitchen and to the garage. I was hoping for his dad's car to be parked there bun instead, the garage had no car in it. Instead of saying anything, Ricky walks towards the corner filled with junk, grabbing a skateboard. My eyes widened.

"Ricky, you told me your dad was taking us to school." I warn him as he toon out another skateboard. It was actually mine. He bought it for me for my birthday but I couldn't take it home because of my Hispanic mom. She would've hated me. So instead, Ricky keeps it for me since I only ever skate when I'm with him.

"Forgot to tell you that he has to go to work!" He smiles, rummaging through the stuff to find helmets. "You'll be fine, you know how to skate." And he was correct, I do know how to. Nothing like serious, I just know how to steer but you will never see me doing tricks. The skateboard was plain pink underneath with a written message at the corner that reads, "You make me a better person :)". The message was washed out and was obviously written with like a sharpie or something.

And I appreciated the gift. I was sort of forced to learn since I had to live with Ricky for a like two weeks because of my parents. While they were going through the divorce, it got toxic and Mrs. Bowen kindly asked my mom to take care of me for a bit, and I was grateful.

"But Ricky, it's the first day of school a-"

"Come on, Rome." He pleads as I sigh. He then walks towards me, handing me a helmet.

"But my hair is all nice!" I whined though I took the helmet with one hand.

"But you're not going to skate without one, silly," He rolls his eyes. "Hurry."

"Okay!" I finally agreed. He kicks the skateboard towards me, rolling my direction. I grab it incorrectly, putting on the helmet, feeling my hair flatten underneath. I made a face, fixing the straps on the helmet as he chuckled. He opens the garage door as I walked down their driveway, stopping at the end of the driveway, looking back to watch the boy running towards me as the garage door closes slowly. He leans, making sure not to hit his head while I laughed. He then settles the skateboard on the floor, ready to ride it. And he did so down the driveway, stopping next to me.