SO...I, COMMODUS, MADE AMERICA GREAT!

Start from the beginning

 This was terra incognita, despite the (sketchy, I thought) knowledge we had been given re this part of the continent. Therefore, as commander, I would determine when we arrived at a center of civilization, such as a city with a well-developed dock. Then we would land just a single boat with a modest group having no obvious military aboard. If barbarians came to us, we would do our best to communicate. Sir de la Mancha had warned us we would not understand any of the languages here.

This was the largest obstacle to this Mission: to establish a continuing relationship with this civilization and offer the Roman way of life in a peaceful non-aggressive manner–much as was now being done with success along the borders of the Empire back in Europe. And this had been having a most optimistic result when we had departed for this New World. Here also it would take time and trust to develop the means to understand each other, to treat each other with patience and respect...so had advised Sir de la Mancha. I would do my utmost to proceed this way. Not all wars are won by battle...indeed, I had begun to suspect–at Balshazar's instruction–that true heroes can be those who can avert fighting in favor of peaceful means. We would see.

A test was devised. At each such potential location on the river, where the barbarians simply did not greet us but again fled at the sight of our vessels, we would not pursue them. Expected, actually, since none such could have ever been seen here before, we had been told, moving with seeming magic, sails furled and no oars. Instead, we would erect as quickly as possible a standard Roman archway from the local stone and wood. Nothing too large, but one impressive nonetheless. Then we would continue on upstream, remaining with this procedure for at least two weeks, unless we had success earlier. If not, we would then return downstream, visiting each location's arch. If it was destroyed, we would not land. If it was ignored, the natives still absent, we would not land. But if they had found the arch worthy of adding to, of creating more than we had given, or simply appeared when we approached, then we would land and make our first attempt at establishing a relationship.

And so it went. The sight of five wood ships, far larger and more complex than any of the oar-driven ones we found floating by abandoned or tied empty at piers, must have frightened all who saw them. This must have included also those who tended the aquiculture pens built along the river banks to farm fish and shellfish, as Europeans did. In two weeks we glimpsed not a single person, and landed to leave an arch, about three paces across and just over head high, at seven ports, three of which did have sizable towns inland with decorated buildings near the shore, some fairly well built of wood, wattle, thatch, and some even two-story. By this time we had reached the first truly large tributary to the "Mississippi," called the "Ohio" per the maps, which branched off to the northeast and reached well into the northeastern part of the continent. Turn-around time.

Then on the return trip we passed the last four arches; all wrecked, even two completely removed. But the fifth one south had been used already as the front for a structure of two stories and still being widened, construction scaffolding in place! We anchored at midstream near twilight and spent the night watching for any signs. No fires, no movement. At dawn we launched a single dinghy with a dozen men, including but two at arms, and with Balshazar and myself of course. All wore simple caftan robes to conceal our armor and short weapons. Still, my rule was: attack only if attacked.

I had seen this become a successful tactic at Rome's borders in Germania and hoped it would work as well here. Indeed, we had the means to make ourselves what Sir de la Mancha had called a "Welcome Wagon," after peaceful negotiations had begun, to encourage the barbarians into cooperation without bloodshed. We landed at the short pier and approached the structure's arch entry slowly in ranks of two, myself and Bal abreast in front. Now we could hear furtive movements and smell cooking fires beyond. I paused, then went ahead when the column bumped into us.