↠The Fall Of A King - 034

Start from the beginning

Sirius's face dropped. Remus's jaw clenched tightly, rage starting to follow him. James didn't move, he felt like he couldn't breathe. "What?" Sirius's voice quivered. "There's no way she would do that!" Remus exclaimed, his face starting to turn red. "Mate," James said, looking straight at Sirius. "They can't force an engagement if she's already engaged." Sirius's head snapped towards James. "It was not supposed to go like this." James nodded in agreement.

Lily stood there, not knowing what the two boys were talking about, but realization dawned on Remus. "You have a ring," The words slipped right off of Remus's tongue. "You have a ring?!" Lily's words came out right after his, shock lacing her tone. "I... Yeah, I do. I got it before school started, the same day Sage found out about the baby..." Sirius's voiced trailed off. "Bloody hell, mate, how complicated is this about to become?" Remus looked between the three of them.

"Very."

———

"What is bothering you, Your Majesty?" McGonagall leaned against her desk as Sage sat in front of her. "My father and advisers want me to marry Prince Phillip of Spain. His father stepped down as first in line after it was announced the King is ill." Sage put one hand on her cheek as she said those words out loud again. McGonagall stood there, not moving. "That's not what you want at all, is it?" It was more of a statement than a question. "No, it's not."

McGonagall sighed and walked over to sit next to Sage. "Love and marriage, your majesty, are two very fragile things. They can be together in unity, or separated by miles of hatred and unsatisfaction. If you marry who you truly love, it can last you a lifetime, but marrying someone you don't want to... Well, trust me, It can end in true tragedy." McGonagall reached out and held Sage's hand. "I know who you love, and I know he loves you. Don't let that go to waste, dear," Her voice was soft and comforting.

"What if this is what's best for my country? My people?" Sage questioned lightly. "A Marriage of convenience benefits nobody if you aren't already in love." McGonagall gave Sage a tight-lipped smile. "If you want the best advice, I suggest going to Professor Dumbledore." The older woman stood up and walked back towards her desk, grabbed a biscuit that was sitting on a plate, and stretched her arm out towards Sage. "Here, your Majesty. Take the biscuit,"

———

Sage was walking back towards the commons room to see if Sirius was awake. Her heels clicked softly, and the sound of her clutching her dress fabric was almost silent. Sage, though, stopped. Turning the corner was Sirius. And he looked so relieved to see her. They both approached each other, moving at the same speed. "I have something to tell you, okay! Before you say anything, just listen to me, please." Sirius stopped and stared at her.

"Lily told me already." Sage's face dropped. "Sirius, I-" She was quickly cut off. "Marry me," The words slipped right from his tongue without any hesitation. "Wha- Sirius, don't be impulsive, please-" Sage stopped herself when Sirius got down on his knee. She looked up and over to see James, Peter, Remus, and Lily all standing at the end of the hall where Sirius was standing prior. They all had smiles on their faces.

Sage looked back down to see him pull out a box and open it. It was a gold band with a large Princess cut Ruby stone at the center. Small diamonds surrounded the stone and lined the band. "Princess, impulsive is my middle name," Sirius chuckled and held the box up higher.

"I love you, I think I've loved you since the moment I watched you yell at mother. You, undoubtedly, were the first person to ever come to my defense in my entire life. And, you changed it in ways I never imagined." Sirius felt tears slip from his own eyes as he spoke. Lily, who was standing next to James, grabbed his hand and squeezed it, causing him to squeeze in return. "I don't care what I have to give up to be with you, I don't care what title I have to take, or how much of my life I have to dedicate to royal procedures and traditions. Marry me."

Sage whipped tears from her face shakily and nodded instantly. "Yes, yes of course!" She laughed. Sirius jumped up and pulled her into a hug, lifting her and spinning her. He set her back down and put the ring on her finger. They both had wide smiles and tears eyes. Sirius turned around and lifted their arms. "She said yes!" Sirius yelled to the others with joy. Cheers erupted from the group and they all came over for hugs.

James held Sage tight and smiled brightly. "You deserve this, herb. I'm so happy for you," He whispered into her ear. Sage pulled back and put her hands on his shoulders, "Did you know what this?" She asked him. "Of course, I was there when he picked the ring!" James laughed lightly. "Thank you,"

"Congratulations, your majesty," A voice said from behind them, causing Sage to turn around. "Thank you, Professor," Sage nodded at Professor McGonagall with a large grin. "And congratulations to you too, Mr. Black," McGonagall crossed her arms and looked towards the boy. "Awe, it means a lot, Minnie." Sirius covered his heart with his hands dramatically.

McGonagall rolled her eyes and walked back into her office.

———

Sage and Sirius held hands as they walked down towards Dumbledore's office. Sirius gave the door the passcode and it opened, leaving a staircase for them to go up.

"Headmaster Dumbledore!" Sage greeted him cheerfully. "Well, good afternoon to you too, you Majesty. How can I be of help to you two today?" Dumbledore asked them with a slight grin. "We have news," Sirius told him. "Happy news, I can assume?" He said rhetorically. "I proposed this morning," Sirius started. "And I said yes," Sage finished. The headmaster broke out into a large grin.

"I'm pleased to say I saw this coming. Such exciting news in these times! Candy?" The Headmaster offered causing them to chuckle. "Thank you," Sage said as she took the licorice. "So, are you having the wedding at the Abbey?" Dumbledore questioned. "Well, Sirius suggested having two separate celebrations. I very much liked the idea. One would be for family, friends, classmates that wouldn't be able to attend if it was public, and the second would be the public one where we actually get married," Sage explained, her smile growing as she went on.

Dumbledore looked at Sirius and nodded towards him. "A very brilliant idea, Mr. Black," Sirius nodded back. "Well, she's much better at explanations and planning, so..." Sirius laughed lightly at the end. "So, when will the announcement be made?" He continued asking them questions. "During the Christmas holiday. We won't keep it a secret here, but protocol needs for Sage and I to announce it in person to the public in an interview." Sirius shifted on his feet.

"Well, you have my support. Congratulations once again, I hope your love will last a lifetime," The young couple gave Dumbledore a large smile. "There is one more thing we'd like to ask..." Sage took a step towards him. Dumbledore tilted his head slightly. "Yes?" Sage took a deep breath, "We were hoping we could have the first party here..." Sage bounced on her heels lightly. Dumbledore stood up and walk to stand in front of Sage, placing his hands on her arms and nodded.

"Hogwarts would be honored to have you and your family to celebrate your union, your Majesty," Dumbledore answered her. He then turned and reached out his hand for Sirius to shake. "This truly is wonderful. I'm incredibly happy for you two. Love is a wonderful thing."

 ———

Sage stood in the courtyard, her friends, siblings, and now Fiance were all talking and laughing. It was also sunset, and the sky was turning shades of pink and orange, leaving a sweet feeling in Sage's soul. Sirius approached her while she was lost in thought, and he smiled at her once again. The woman he was so fond of, so in love with. "Have I told you how beautiful you look today?" Sage snapped out of it and looked towards Sirius. "What?" She asked him. Sirius chuckled and shook his head. "I love you." He laced their fingers together. 

"I love you too."