“Ha-ha, very funny. It’s a dancing and singing type of flick for the kids. It’s set in college with the fraternities and sororities. I heard it’s real good, but we really won’t know unless we go and check it out.”

Out. Out there into the real world, the one that had so quickly chewed me up and spit me back out.

Just as I was feeling dejected at the venture, I thought of Lauryn and a smile washed across my face.

“I’ll go, but on one condition,” I declared.

Tim already had his phone out. “What’s up?”

“My girl can come.”

He rolled his eyes as his fingers glided across his cell phone screen. “Done. I’ll text you the details later.”

He stood as he raised his phone to his ear. He reached out and pounded my fist before taking his leave from the room.

Beyond the fact that I had to come through and show support for Avery, I wasn’t entirely up for the premiere. Lauryn said I needed that push that night at the karaoke bar. She said I was a natural on the stage and not one face in the crowd was angered at the sight of me. She also said some girl was holding her face and crying, but that was highly doubtful.

It was because of Lauryn that I knew I had to go to the movie as a test, as a way to see how the public would react to seeing my face at such events again.

A part of me knew I could do it, just as I’d done at the karaoke bar, yet still, I found myself reaching into my pocket and procuring my cell phone to call up the one person who it seemed as though I needed there with me.

“Hello?” After so much time even Lauryn’s voice did things to me. She wasn’t one of those girls with a light voice, deep, raspy or even a girly one, but a strong one that demanded attention. It was a shame a voice that powerful couldn’t hold a single note.

“So, do you really think I need to get up out of this house?” I asked as I sat back.

“Uh-duh, Pac and I’ve been talking and we’re worried about you.”

“Really? You speak dog?”

“I took a course in school.”

“Uh-huh, listen, maybe you’re right about getting out of here and doing something. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to experience what normal people are doing on weekends.”

Over on Lauryn’s end I could hear her cheering. “Now you’re talking.”

“So,” I said, stretching the word out to stall just a bit, “how do you feel about a little movie?”

I could’ve played her and kept with the charade of a “normal” movie going, but then I got too excited when we were face to face.

I almost went deaf at the sound of her high pitch screaming after I’d told her. She kept jumping up and down thanking me. To be honest, the movie premiere was nothing compared to the karaoke night. Before, I kept myself hidden and only came out when necessary. I kept my voice away from the public out of fear and doubt, and Lauryn had given it meaning again.

The movie couldn’t even begin to thank her enough.

“This is what I do for fun,” I was telling Lauryn as we rode inside of a limo to the premiere. She had gotten pampered by the best stylists Tim knew in town and came out red carpet ready. I watched as she gathered her golden yellow gown and leaned over to peek out the window at the passing scenery. Her excitement reminded me of my first taste of this first class life.