Place Your Bets

I woke up early in the morning, up before my siblings and father. I helped my mother prepare breakfast.

Once everything was set up on the kitchen table, you could hear the stampede of footsteps making their way down stairs. My father was the first to emerge, taking his seat at the head of the table. He said thanked my mother and me for the food.

After the last of the plates were washed up, I decided to head up to my room. I wanted to change into my going out clothes. Today I was helping Polly at the betting shop. It was a business run by the Shelby's. Polly was going to show me the ropes, as I was to be her apprentice.

With a spring in my step, I made my way to 6 Watery Lane. I didn't knock, I was told to just walk in, so I did. Polly was sat at the kitchen table with Arthur, Tommy, Ada and Finn.

"morning love, ready for your first day" Polly said smiling.

"yes Pol, im eager to learn" I said with enthusiasm.

"first thing you need to do is rally up the boys, only two have emerged from their rooms, go wake John" Polly instructed.

I turned and marched up the stairs, Arthur whistled and whispered "yeah wake him up"

I could hear the sound of Tommy chuckling and Polly hitting Arthur.

I reached John's door, opening it, to see him still sleeping in bed. I tiptoed over, until I was right next to him. I bent down to his ear and whispered "wakey wakey sleepyhead"

His eyes shot open, his hair messy from sleeping, with his raspy morning voice he said "what are you doing in here ay" he smiled.

"Pol wants you up, time to get us to work" I said turning around. Just as I went to step away, I felt an arm snake around my waist turning me around and pulling me back towards the bed.

I stood between John's legs as he sat up on the edge of his bed. He rested his head on my stomach looking up into my eyes.

"how about a good morning kiss" John asked smirking.

I smiled "yes Mr Shelby" leaning down to touch his lips. Within seconds of touching, the electric pulses ran through my body.

The kiss grew hunger, John lifting my legs and sitting me on his lap, so I was straddling him. "I like this position" John smirked. His lips were on mine again, my hands in his hair.

I pulled away, my eyelashes fluttering and rosy cheeks "we need to move before Polly comes up here and kills the both of us" I said still sat in my previous position.

"ARE YOU TWO COMING DOWN OR WHAT?!" Polly shouted.

"YEAH STOP FOOLING AROUND UP THERE" Arthur shouted and laughing.

I got up and walked towards the door, I told John I would see him downstairs.

We all made our way to the betting shop. John was up at the chalk board, scudboat shouting out the bets, Arthur keeping tabs on who was going in and who was going out. Tommy was in the office and Polly was showing me the books.

John kept his eyes on me as much as he could, we exchanged flirtatious smiles through out the day. It was almost 5 o'clock, we had been working since 9 this morning.

"right lads, get yourselves home. Lets go have a few drinks in the Garrison, celebrate our new employees first day" Tommy announced to everyone smiling at me.

Tommy was like an older brother to me, he watched over me, made sure I never wanted for anything. He beautiful ocean blue eyes full of love and warmth, especially when it came to family.

We locked up for the day and made our way to the Garrison. I linked arms with Polly. Normally ladies weren't allowed to order drinks at a bar unless they were in the company of gentleman. But if you were a Shelby or known to be connected you could do pretty much anything.