Prologue

Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own Warhammer 40 000 or anything associated with it (unfortunately). It belongs to Games Workshop and this is in no way canon. Also, the cover picture is a placeholder and not my own, although one is coming. Anyway, Enjoy!

A puff of smoke issued from the barrel of the pistol, and an ork head exploded. The orks around him roared, and jumped on the guardsmen, tearing him to pieces. A larger one ran at another guardsmen, and split his skull like a melon with one of the guardsman's own limbs. The charge continued along the line and a few guardsmen broke and ran, straight into their commissar, who jammed his chainsword into the midriff of one and put a round of plasma in the backs of the others.

"No Retreat!" He cried, "Form a Firing line!" The orders were carried out along the line as the last row of guardsmen took a single step back, and raised their lasguns.

"FIRE!" The Commissar bellowed, and the guardsmen let loose a hail of lasblasts, hitting both the orks and the unfortunate guardsmen in front of them indiscriminately. An area cleared as the guardsmen poured volley after volley into the creatures, now the only thing assaulting them was the screams and cries of the soldiers caught in the laserfire. Eventually even this attack faltered and failed.

"Emperor be praised!" a guardsmen cried. "Reinforcements! Look!" A flight of Valkyries appeared over the horizon, screaming towards the guardsmen. Commissar Gealt Yeiser squinted at the dropships as they flew closer, a dread feeling brewing in the pit of his stomach.

"Emperor protect us. I don't think those are our ships!" He said, as he began to see the crude markings scrawled across their sides, and the defaced Aquila on the nose of each one.

"No mercy, No respite!"