Fourteen

"Hey, Hagrid!" I called as I came into sight of his cabin. I knew he was awake, as Fang was free to bound up to me and bark. I glanced around his front, seeing the Skrewts, which made me shudder. "Where's Hagrid, Fang?"

"Over here, Iv!" I heard Hagrid's gruff voice. It was coming from just in the forest where the coral for Hippogriff's had been set up. Instead, it seemed to be fixed up to house the horses that had pulled the carriage yesterday. "What are you doing up this early?"

"Madam Pomfrey said I could start running again," I said, climbing on the poles until I was able to sit on the top one, which was thick enough to be comfortable. "They're huge."

"Abraxans," he said, smiling widely at them as he came closer to me. "Beautiful creatures."

"No offense, Hagrid, but you see every creature as beautiful," I pointed out, earning a small chuckle. "Were they difficult to handle?"

"Would have been if I was just a man," he admitted, shaking his head. He looked towards the carriage, which was just barely in view of the coral. "What did you think of Madam Maxime?"

"She appears to be a very proud and strong woman," I offered, not really knowing what to say. I hadn't had a chance to talk to her, unlike Karkaroff. "Very tall."

"Yeah, taller then me almost," Hagrid grinned, turning pink.

"Do you have a crush?" I asked, getting giddy all of a sudden. 

"Lower your voice," he grunted, his eyes darting towards the carriage, which remained quiet. The sun was high enough to mean people were waking up, but he didn't want to take any chances. "She's a very beautiful woman."

"You should try to woo her," I said, my voice low to appease him. "It's worth a shot. She's here all year."

"Ivy," he said, shaking his head, but I could see a sparkle in his eye. "You really think I have a chance?"

"You don't meet a woman like that everyday," I said, which was true. I was about to say something else, something about the Skrewts, when the door to the carriage opened. Madam Maxime stepped out, followed by Louis and that blond girl. The others seemed perfectly happy staying in the carriage.

"Here she comes, Ivy, what do I do?" Hagrid asked, sounding more stressed then I'd ever heard him before. 

I held back a giggle as I looked at him. "Just be you, Hagrid. We love you for it."

"Hagrid!" Madam Maxime called, waving at us. It didn't take her long to get to us, and she looked at me. "I don't believe I know you."

"This is Ivy Hamilton," Hagrid said before I could get the words out. "She's one of my students."

"Are you entering?" she asked me, eyeing my small frame. 

"No," I said, smiling. "I'm too young. I'll be fifteen tomorrow."

"How wonderful," she said, smiling at me. She motioned to the two next to her. "This is Fleur and Louis Delacour. Fluer will be entering, while Louis is here as my helper."

"Well, I wish you luck, Ms. Delacour," I said, nodding to her. I glanced at Hagrid, biting back a grin. "I should be heading to breakfast. Neville wanted me to help him with Potions."

"Are you any good at that?" Fleur asked, eyeing me with renewed interest. 

"You could say that," I mused, hiding a snicker. 

"All the students with me are doing independent study this term," Madam Maxime informed us, sighing. "Fleur is a genius witch, but her Potions skills are mediocre."