02 - But all good devils masquerade under the light

Start from the beginning

His pops, who wasn't the only one with fangs, hissed back. His serpentine eyes glowed.

"Hey!" Adam shouted, dropping his spoon to be lost in his bowl. Dog turned to him, while Crowley continued to glare at the smaller demon. "Be nice. That's my pops, you have to be good for him." And, just to make sure it remembered what he told it last night, he pointed to Aziraphale, who had returned to kitchen. "And that's my dad. They're my parents. You can't hurt them, or threaten them, or do anything bad to them, got it?"

Instantly, the Hellhound stopped growling and sat down, whining and avoiding his gaze. He could also imagine it nodded a little in cowardice. Crowley barked out a laugh through his still-pointy teeth.

"Mighty Hellhound indeed." He muttered. Adam managed to smile a bit.

"Yes, well." Aziraphales face twisted as he looked down at the dog, thinking. "It does listen to Adam, and he wanted a small dog."

Adam nodded and went to fish his spoon out of his cereal. The family was content to let Dog sit in the kitchen, better than being outside, but a few minutes later, as Adam went to put his dishes in the sink, he could feel sad eyes on the back of his head.

He turned to Dog, who watched him with a tilted head. He sighed. "Can I let it up now?"

"Of course." Aziraphale said. "You know, if you play with your friends later, maybe you should bring it along. I'm sure they'd like to meet it."

Adam turned to stare at the dog — Hellhound, and frowned. "What if it hurts them?"

"It's your choice, dear." Aziraphale said. "But I'm sure if your ordered it to play nice you'll be fine."

He thought about what he had told Dog about his parents, the nodded. His friends all wanted to see his dog, after all, so as long as he was strict about what it could do, they all should be fine. "Alright, that sounds good. Come on, Dog, I'll show you my room."

It physically lit up at the suggestion and jumped up to follow Adam upstairs, making excited yipping noises. With both the boy and animal gone, Crowley turned to Aziraphale, who started running the sink to do the dishes.

"Angel, is it a good idea to let him bring it along?" He said. While the demon hadn't had any personal experiences with Hellhounds, they had 'Hell' in the name. "It's not a normal dog, remember?"

"Yes, darling." Aziraphale replied. "But one, people will get suspicious if we keep a dog in our backyard but never bring it out, and two, maybe if we introduce it to more normal scenarios, it could ... expel the demonic energy."

Crowley raised any eyebrow at his husband over his glasses. "I'm not sure that's how it works *, angel."

* If it did, Crowley wouldn't be a demon anymore, after a lifetime of 'normal' situations like eating at restaurants, driving through towns, and, well, living the domestic family life.

"My other point still stands." He replied. Crowley frowned, knowing Aziraphale had won the argument, and besides, it was Adams choice, then sighed and got up to help dry the dishes.

A few minutes later, Adam returned, fully dressed with his teeth brushed. By the time he did, the two beings were finished and were now back in the living room, the angel reading and the demon on his phone, as they always were in the morning. Adam had brought down the lego set he had got and started yesterday, and began working on it on the coffee table.

Dog followed him down the stairs, happy to follow, but seemed confused when the entire family sat down and began doing their own things again. Adam, noticing the Hellhounds confused stare, smiled awkwardly and patted the spot next to him on the floor.