His cheeks slightly reddened. “She was my favorite character.”

“You only liked her because she was hot.”

“…Maybe.”

I laughed. “Alright, get out so I can get ready. I don’t need to be late.”

He suddenly looked serious. “Just be careful, okay?”

I nodded slowly, not completely understand why he was being so protective. He gave a small smile before walking out, closing the door behind him. Ross had always been protective, but he seemed overprotective now. I guess it could be due to the fact that I was pregnant, and Ross basically agreed to be this baby’s father.

How was it possible for Ross to be a better father to my unborn child than the biological father? It made absolutely no sense, but yet it worked for me. I was glad that my baby was going to have a father in his or her life, and I didn’t even care that he wasn’t the actual father.

Once I was finished getting ready, I exited my room and entered the living room. I grabbed my purse off the couch and said a quick goodbye to Ross before hurrying out of the apartment. Since I didn’t have a car, I always used Ross’. He didn’t mind, and I couldn’t afford my own yet.

When I arrived at work, I noticed that there were only a few customers, so I had a feeling it would be a slow day. I made my way into the employee break room and shoved my stuff in my locker, grabbing the hat us employees had to wear before closing it.

“Hey, Hazel.” I greeted my fellow employee and friend, as I walked out of the break room. She was the only one working, including me, now.

“Hey, Sky.” She smiled. “What’s up?”

I shrugged. “Not much. What about you? How’s your mom?” Her mom was recently admitted into the hospital with appendicitis.”

“I’m fine, and my mom’s officially out of the hospital.” You could tell by the sound of her voice that she was relieved. 

“Good.”

A couple of hours had passed and we had only dealt with a few customers. I hated slow days because it made the day just drag on. Add to the fact that I was a bit nauseous, so all I wanted to do was go home.

“Are you okay?” Hazel asked me, watching me as I sat down on a stool. The nausea was getting worse, and I was trying my best to not throw up.

“I’m fine.” I muttered.

“Then why do you look like you’re going to puke?” She asked.

She didn’t get an answer, due to the fact that I bolted to the bathroom and emptied my stomach. I didn’t even eat today, besides that spoonful of cereal which I had already puked up.

“Skylar?” Hazel’s voice was heard from the other side of the door. I quickly flushed the toilet and washed my hands before walking back out. “Are you okay?”

I nodded weakly. “I’m fine. Do you have gum or mint?”

“Yeah,” She reached into her back pocket and handed me a piece of gum. “Here.”

“Thanks.” I quickly unwrapped it and stuck it in my mouth.

“Are you sick?” She asked. The store was empty, so we didn’t have to worry about taking care of anyone. “’Cause if you are, maybe you shouldn’t be working today.”

“I’m not sick, Hazel.” I sighed, reclaiming the spot on the stool. “I’m pregnant.”

Her eyes widened, and her jaw dropped. “I’m sorry, what?”

“You heard me.”

A moment of silence passed, and I knew she was trying to process what I had told her.

Finally, she spoke up. “Well that was unexpected.”

~*~

“Bye, Hazel.” I waved goodbye, as I walked out of the store. After a boring seven hour shift, I was finally able to go home. I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

After Hazel actually processed the fact that I was pregnant, she started firing questions at me. Of course I answered all of them, but I hated answering them in the first place. They were the same ones I had to answer when I told the Lynch’s I was pregnant.

Walking into the apartment, I immediately kicked off my shoes and plopped down on the couch.

“Sky? Is that you?” Ross called from his bedroom.

I rolled my eyes. “No! It’s a burglar with a key!” I hollered back.

“Alright, no need for sarcasm.” He said, appearing in front of me. He plopped down next to me, and I leaned my head on his shoulder. “How was work?”

“Boring and exhausting.” I yawned. “And I think you jinxed me because I ended up puking.”

He chuckled. “I did nothing, dude. And I told you not to go to work.”  

“I had to.” I yawned again. “All I want to do is sleep right now.”

“Okay, but you should know something before you head to bed.” He looked nervous, which made me nervous.

“What?”

“I made you an appointment for an ultrasound, and it’s in two weeks.”

I grabbed a couch pillow and started smacking him over the head. “Why would you do that?!” I continued smacking him.

“Ow! Sky, stop!” He grabbed the pillow and set it aside. “Would you relax?”

“Uh, no!” I snapped. “Why would you make me an appointment for an ultrasound?”

He looked at me like I had three heads. “Because you need to see if everything’s okay with the baby.”

I bit my lip nervously. “And what if something’s wrong?”

“Hey,” He rested his hand on my thigh. “Nothing’s wrong with the baby. Going to the ultrasound will just prove that.”

“But-“

“No ‘buts.’” I sighed. “Sky, I promise you that nothing’s wrong with the baby.”

I exhaled and nodded. “You’re coming with me, right?”

He smiled. “I am the substitute father,” He joked. “So yes, I’m going.”

I chuckled. “You should really stop saying that. It just sounds wrong.”

He rolled his eyes, but smiled. “Fine. I won’t say it.” He paused. “Out loud.” 

Short chapter, but I thought it was a good place to start. The next chapter will be with the ultrasound. And I added something to chapter 1, and that was the pregnany test. I made it so Skylar took a test that showed how far along she was. Vote and comment!