Of Love and Light

Start from the beginning

He didn't find her last comment reassuring as she hoped he would. "Your friends hate me, Granger. They are not going to take this lightly."

"They don't hate you," she defended. "Harry is wary of you, but he sometimes can't hide how impressed he is over your work and skill as an Auror. He might not be particularly warm to you, Draco, but he does consider your reformation admirable. He just needs to get to know you."

"And the weasel?" he retorted. "What about him?"

It was her turn to frown. "Ron dislikes you, that's obvious, but he'd never interfere in my life."

"Granger, Weasley will drop you in an instant when he knows about us. You can't make excuses for the git, he's just incapable of handling certain situations when things don't go his way."

She snorted. "You're one to talk, Malfoy. You're equally as hardheaded and rash as he is."

"Don't compare me to him," Draco snapped.

She rolled her eyes. "I am going to tell them and we'll handle it accordingly," she continued. "And what about your friends? I don't doubt for a second that they're going to lose their heads when they know. Draco Malfoy and Hermione Muggle-Born Granger: a couple and expecting a child. I can already see Parkinson stampeding into your office to tell you how—"

"Pansy knows about us," the blonde cut her off, quite annoyed with her rambling already. Hermione shot her brows up in confusion and a small smirked tugged at his lips. "Not directly, at least, but she suspects something. And, oddly, the bint is never wrong. She's been hounding me about it for ages now. If she's going to be stampeding into my office, it's going to be to gloat about it."

"How does...And Blaise?" Hermione questioned instead, not letting Parkinson's somehow indirect acceptance of her and Draco together to confuse her more.

Draco's smirk grew. "He'll buy me a drink for shagging the Gryffindor Princess and knocking her up, and then he'll buy me another for pissing Potter and Weasley off in the process."

"Slytherins," huffed the brunette. "Typical."

He wanted to laugh at her scowl, but instead remained stoic when the following words left his mouth, "I'll have to tell my parents as well."

Instantly, Hermione paled as she felt her heart drop in her chest. She had forgotten about Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. That was daft of her, but she had. She had been enjoying herself with Draco for two consecutive days that the rest of the world disappeared. But reality was still waiting for her and Draco outside the walls of her bedroom. A reality that they were going to have to confront eventually, something that she was dreading.

"You're worried about them?" Draco asked.

"Of course I'm worried about them! You can't honestly say that I'm the type of girl they wanted you to end up with. Merlin, and I'm carrying your half-blood child. The odds are stacked against me."

"You seem to be under the impression that blood statuses are of importance here."

"Oh, please, Malfoy," scoffed the brunette. "Your dad turns his nose up at me every time he sees me. I wouldn't be surprised if—" She stopped talking when she noticed him glaring at her. Her insides twisted.

"I'm sorry," she breathed, though she wasn't sure on how sincere that apology was. "I know that the history between us was going to be an issue in regards to us as a couple. I just...I sort of just imagined everything would fall into place once I did tell you how I felt. I don't know. I'm sorry."

He surprised her when he said, "it's only an issue if you let it." He pressed a fleeting kiss to the home of their unborn child and then sat up on the mattress of her bed.