Chapter 2 ❧ Maintain Normalcy

Začít od začátku

"You're too kind." Juleka squeezes my arm.

"I'm just being positive about this," I answer. So I can balance out the negativity living a double life.

•●•●•●•●•

I visit my favourite ice cream parlor. As the day progressed, I was getting more and more frustrated about French and Chloe so I needed to let of steam.

"One ice cream sundae please!" I was so excited to eat my fill that i almost crash into a familiar elder in red.

"Oh, it's you!" I say, delighted.

"It's nice to see you, miss. I was just passing by. I heard they serve the best ice cream waffles here." He said in a serene-like voice. We both sat down and chatted for a bit before he eventually stood up.

"Well, it's best that I return home. You should too before it gets dark. I can't thank you enough for this morning."

"It was no problem! I'm glad you didn't get a cold from the rain," I say.

"That's sweet of you to say." He bid farewell and left. He was already a few metres away when I realise that he left something on the table. It's a small, hexagonal black box with red markings.

I freeze in shock, staring wide-eyed at the box. Suddenly, my heart is racing and beating thunderously against my chest. That's-

My hand reaches out for the box and my finger skim over the smooth surface. The air is awfully buzzing with anticipation. My hands are just about to open its lid, but then...

I force it back shut.

Before I could have second thoughts, I grab the box and shoot up to my feet. I dart towards the elder. "Hey, mister!"

He stops and turns back when I say, "You accidentally left this."

"Hmm? What's that? It isn't mine," He says slowly. I have a knack for spotting lies.

I hold in laughter. Just take it back! I have no use for another one. "Really? It isn't mine either. Maybe I should surrender this to the police. It looks too valuable-"

"No-" He exclaims, snatching the box from my hands. "I-i remember now. I'm sorry miss, my memory is not what it used to be."

I smile brightly. "Well I'm glad you didn't leave it behind."

"Thank you once again," he says, but I could catch the subtle disappointment in his tone.

"It's no problem."

My phone rings in my pocket. I take one glance at the caller's name and decide that it's definitely time to say goodbye. We exchanged farewells before I leave and answer the call.

"Hello?" I say apprehensively.

"Selene, this is Nathalie. Mr Agreste has some work for you to do. There is a new target for you to handle."

A picture of Alix Kubdel appears on my phone screen. "He needs you to give this girl a little push- enough so that she can attract an akuma..."

I can't believe I got my hands on a real miraculous today. And it was given to me of all people. Only the kindest and purest people get to be miraculous holders and that old man hardly thought it through. I'm not worthy.

He could have been in huge trouble for that small mistake.

Well, he already is since now I know the identity of the Guardian of the miraculous. All I have to do is report it.

"Selene? Are you listening?"

"I'm on my way, Nathalie." I say, complacently and end the phone call quickly. I couldn't bring myself to report it. Not now.

A few hours later, a new villain, Timebreaker, emerged. She temporarily brought chaos into Paris before swiftly being defeated by Ladybug and Chat Noir.

The results are always the same.

•●•●•●•●•

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday.