Linking with John, the TIC, I tell him that I had some personal buisness to take care of. And that I wouldn't be back for a while. OH, JOB. IF YOU KNOW WHO THE MATE OF PEGGY IS, YOU BETTER TELL TRAVIS. 

WHY? WHAT'S UP? 

WELL, HE REJECTED HER AT HER PARTY LAST NIGHT, AND THIS MORNING SHE WAS GONE. SHE DIDN'T TELL HER BROTHERS WHO HE WAS, WHICH WAS A GOOD THING AND A BAD THING. 

WHY'S THAT JOHN?

WELL...IT'S A GOOD THING BECAUSE THE ALPHA DOESN'T KNOW WHO IT IS. YET. THE BAD THING ABOUT IT IS, HE'S LOOKING FOR HIM. AND WHEN HE FINDS HIM, HE'S DEAD. TRAVIS'S WORDS, NOT MINE. 

WHY WOULD TRAVIS KILL PEG'S MATE JUST FOR REJECTING HER?
BECAUSE WHEN THE IDIOT REJECTED HER, SHE RAN AWAY. APPARENTLY, SHE LOST CONTROL OF HER CAR NEAR THE RAVINE AND WENT OVER THE RAILS. THE COPS SAY SHE DIDN'T MAKE IT OUT OF HER CAR, WHICH BURST INTO FLAMES. TRAVIS'S CLAIMS IT'S THE MATES FAULT SHE RAN, SO WHEN HE FINDS HIM, HE'S GOING TO KILL THE GUY. I pale at John's words. 

Up until this point, I had thought that I could have changed her mind. Could have told her that I loved her, but was scared to try to build a relationship because of our age difference. I slam my head into the wall. 

DOES HE KNOW WHO THIS GUY IS?

TRAVIS ONLY KNOWS HE'S ONE OF THREE GUYS WHO WEREN'T AT HER PARTY.  I groan and tell John thanks. Cutting the link, I crash onto the couch. I am so dead. An empty feeling washes over me. Blaze severed our connection. Not surprising really. I rejected our mate, and now she's dead because of me. If I was him, I would be doing the same thing too. 

I spent a month at my brother's. Hiding from Travis really. I knew that at some point I would have to return to my pack, but I couldn't bring myself to face her brothers. They would know it's me just by looking at my face. The pain, regret, and loneliness that stays in my eyes would give me away. 

I head out to the bar. It takes a lot of whiskey to get a werewolf drunk, but for the past month, I found being drunk is the only way I can drown out the last memory I have of her face. As I slide onto my stool, I feel someone's eyes on me. Looking around, I don't recognize anyone, but the feeling stays with me. Knowing that Travis could have someone tailing me, I order five shots of vodka. Might as well get this party started early. 

*1 YEAR LATER*

Job's POV

Two months after Peggy died, I told John to tell Travis that I resigned as beta. Another month passed and I told them that I wanted out of the pack. They tried to talk me out of it, but I wouldn't listen. I was a regular at Gene's Corner now, that when I walk in, my drink's already on the bar. 

Starting on my fourth glass of whiskey, I feel someone slip into the stool beside me. Sniffing slightly, I realize it was Jim. He looks at me and then orders a glass of water. I laugh hard. "Pansy." I say finishing my glass. I nod at Gene and he pours me another. "Job," he starts, "We want you back. Travis needs your help leading the pack as he looks for someone. Please come back man." 

I laugh again. I haven't shifted since I found out she died, so my wolf side of me is weak, allowing me to get drunk a lot easier. "I'm not comin back pup." 

His eyes narrow at the insult. "Job."

"Don't Job me pup." I tell him, my words starting to slur. "I'm older than you. Show me some respect."

"I would if you deserved it. You abandoned your pack, your family. You don't deserve respect. And not from me. Don't forget, pup, I have alpha blood in me. I don't answer to someone like you." His voice was hard and cold. I looked at him in surprise, but it was gone in just seconds. Her death must have hit him hard. I could barely remeber anything about her anymore. 

"Why should I come back to help the man who wants to kill me?" I ask him suddenly. A confused look clouds his eyes. "Why would Travis want to kill you Job? You're his best friend. He thinks of you as a brother man. He doesn't want to kill you."

My brain was telling me that I shouldn't tell him, but I was too drunk to pay attention to it. I needed to tell someone, even if it was her brother. 

"Travis will kill me because...Because I am...I was Peg's mate. I rejected her because she was a mute. Who in their right mind would want a mute as a mate, even if she came from alpha blood?" I watch as his whole body stiffens. Looking him in the eye, I finish my whiskey. Slapping money on the counter, I turn. 

"Hey pup, tell that brother of his that I have my own family, I don't need him trying to make me one of his." He growls just loud enough for me to hear. I grin at him. "Oh, and tell him that I'm waiting for him. Let's see what he's got." I laugh and walk out of the bar. I am one stupid idiot. 

Travis's POV

I sent Jim to check on Job. His brother had called me saying that Job was starting to worry him. He'd come home late, drunk. He would spend his whole day in a little bar not far from the house. It took Jeb a day to reach him. 

I stare at the guy in front of me. "Alpha, I swear, I'm not Peggy's mate. If I was, I would have accepted her, honest." His vocie shakes with fear. In the year that I lost my little sister, I became like a rock. My pack feared me. I only showed emotion in front of Jim and WIll. When she died, all three of us lost our anchor that held us down. 

I nod at Sam and he shots out of my office like his tail's on fire. I would have laughed, once. I turn back to the files in front of me, when I hear Jim link with me. I FOUND THE IDIOT WHO TURNED PEGGY DOWN TRAVIS. I'm still shocked every time I hear how cold and hard his voice sounds. Will's the same way. 

WHO IS IT JIM?

YOU"RE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT TRAV. 

WHO IS IT? I demand, feeling my anger rise. IT'S J...JOB. 

WHAT?!?!?! I bellow out, both in link and out loud. WIll comes running into my office. "What's wrong Tav?" 

"Jim found him. Job." Will's eyes narrows and I smile just alittle. I can't believe that my best friend, my beta rejected her. 

I link with Jim again. TAIL HIM AND DON'T LET HIM OUT OF YOUR SIGHT. WILL AND I ARE ON OUR WAY. WE KILL HIM TOGETHER. Will and I walk out of my office and I slam the door shut.