--- ..- - . .-./.-.. --- --- -.-

Leo cares a lot about Nico, even if he doesn't tell him. That's it, that's the chapter.

It's been a while since Leo last saw this much of Nico di Angelo, and that fact makes him worry, because the last time it happened... Leo doesn't like thinking about that time in their lives, about a night he can never bring up; shoves it all the way back where he can't see it anymore. He still worries about Nico, of course, until the Italian opens his mouth and the ground under Leo stabilizes.

Leo's had his fair share of relationships gone south, it's why he helps Nico, because he would've loved to have someone who reminded him to communicate while understanding how hard that could be. He doesn't go for levity, knows it won't have its desired effect on Nico; simple and bare honesty is a much better option.

He's currently working on a special request for Will's dad, who seemed the only person smart enough to realize the repair shop did anything mechanic; not that Leo minds the vehicles, really, but he'd love to get his hands on some other stuff. The fact that it's an old-timey music box that has like 10 different mechanisms all interlocked together for no other reason than to be extra, is just the cherry atop a very exiting cake; Will's dad being a renowned doctor also helps a lot, Leo's not gonna pretend otherwise.

He's taking his time with it, because he hardly if ever gets anything that actually makes his brain think; cars are near almost instinctual, and motorcycles are banal once Leo actually puts his hands on them. He's actually having fun, like, he takes the time to listen to Nico when he makes his appearance of the day, but still.

"It's my fault this time"

Leo has learned not to startle at Nico doing these impromptu conversation starters, he's only dropped things twice in the week this has been going on for; which, actually, that plays in favor of Leo's worries, so he needs to stop paying attention to the passing days, and pay more attention to his struggling... what do you call the brother of your childhood friend if your relationship with him is secluded to shitty situations? Actually, Leo doesn't want to know.

"You're gonna have to give me more context than that"

He hears Nico sit down on the chair he's put on the corner after the third time this exchanges happened, because giving Nico a specific spot helps him stay logical; it's a thing.

"I keep refusing to meet his friends, even though he's met mine"

Leo hums at this, in that very specific tone he knows will get Nico really spilling; he wonders if Hazel know about that, or Reyna even. He kind of doesn't want them to?

Nico, unaware of Leo's weird, weird, thoughts, continues as expected.

"I keep thinking they'll convince him I'm a bad influence if they actually meet me, and he will finally leave me"

Leo has to look up then, feeling a little offended, because what the fuck?

"As someone who's known you practically their whole life, I call absolute bullshit"

Nico gives him a look, Leo smiles because yeah, he is absolutely doing this.

"Remember back in freshman year of high school?"

Nico actually, legitimately, flushes bright red; blushes have always been easier to notice on him, but Leo's just now realizing that his skin has that olive tone it hasn't had in a literal decade. They are both old.

"I wasn't the only one stopping you"

Leo rolls his eyes.

"You participated, I'm counting it"

That makes Nico smile, a small thing Leo's become used to, though it never fails to break his heart a little, because he remembers when those eyes were brighter.

"Ok"

Leo goes back to his work, Nico is still there, but the tension he had when he came has lessened noticeably.

"It's your turn to pick the food chico"

They've really have been taking turns, but Leo will be ok if Nico tries to make him chose instead; not that he's a picky eater.

"Would it be weird to want pizza?"

Leo can't help the laugh that leaves him.

"Of course not!"