"My behavior is not in question here. If anyone should be asked about their actions it should be you." She turned to leave only to have him grab her shoulder and spin her back around to face him. He was so close that her heart skipped a beat and the room became unbearable warm. Oh, how she hated the way this man affected her.

"What is your meaning?" His voice was raised.

"It is only obvious that the thought of me with Lord Bennett has caused you to become angry." She would not stoop to his level. A calm mind is a quick one.

"You are now accusing me of jealousy?" He was now inches from her face.

"Are you not?" She whispered, afraid that he may actually have no feelings for her.

His eyes widened, she could tell that he was struggling internally. He turned abruptly from her running his fingers through his hair. She watched him unsure if she should explain why Stefan was her chaperone or let him come to terms with her feelings. Her feelings have never faltered since the day he saved her from the lake but how was she to know he felt the same.

"Out of all the men you had to choose, my best friend?" He growled at her. She could see the hurt in his eyes as he struggled.

"I didn't choose him." The response was but a whisper.

Meanwhile in the hall Stefan listened closely waiting for the right time to intrude if he needed.

Matthew was once again within inches of her. She could smell his scent, feel his hot breath upon her. If she didn't love him she would be frightened of the look he was giving her at the present moment. His eyes sparked with anger but there was no hate behind them. Which gave her hope.

"Then pray tell why HE is with you tonight?" He pointed his finger at the door as though Stefan stood just on the other side of the door.  

He forgets who he is dealing with. His antics will not get him anywhere with a lowly farm girl. She straightened to her full height and looked him straight in the eye.

"He was asked to escort me by my father in his stead tonight. As I have already informed you. I was unaware of such arrangement until tonight."

The look in his eyes instantly changed to a smokey green that bore into her soul. In the next instant he had her up against his body crushing her to him. He smashed his lips against hers in his need to have her. As they pulled apart Abigail felt so happy she could burst. He still wanted her.

"So you and Stefan are not courting?" He asked as a reassurance that he understood the situation.

In much better spirits she covered her face with the fan to hide her mischievous grin.

"Oh, I dare say we haven't talked of such things." Her eyes sparkled. "Yet, he has mentioned loving me." She quickly moved on for she could see Matthews features harden. "He is very handsome, it wouldn't be rather difficult to be persuaded."

The look on Matthew's face would make anyone else cringe. Abigail started to fan herself, she turned from him to keep from laughing at his expense. Which would only make matters worse for her. She was sure Matthew was on the verge of strangling her.

The study door swung open allowing Stefan entrance at the most inopportune time. Abigail's eyes widened as he stormed into the room towards Matthew. What happened next happened quickly that Abigail had no time to react.

"Matthew, I can explain." Those were Stefan's only words that he got out before Matthews fist struck Stefan. The blow was so powerful that Stefan stumbled back falling over the settee landing in a heap beside Abigail.