Annunciation

Nord, St. Dominigue (Haiti), 1788

Here on the sugar plantations Monroe Aliere was a house slave, of the Aliere family. Her mother was killed by an overseer, right after she was born. That what she was told. Other slaves that worked the plantation, envied her because she was a creole house servant. Though Monroe knew herself that title was nothing to envy. She knew French and understood little of English. Of course she knew Kreyòl, but she was never allowed to speak it around her masters, Monsieur and Madame Aliere. They would have her whipped if they ever heard her speak Creole. They had a daughter, Mademoiselle Elizette-Bethanie Aliere. Despite their societal status, Elizette was Monroe's private friend. She taught Monroe how to read, speak and write in French and English. She gave Monroe extra food without her parents or the overseer even knowing. She'd bring extra blankets to Monroe's shed in the winter, and watched over her as she slept.

And yesterday, Elizette became the new wife of Monsieur Florent Francois, the French-born heir to one of the most affluent sugar plantations on St. Dominigue.

"Mademoiselle Eliz-", Monroe opened the door to find Elizette crying in front of her mirror.

"I know, Monroe, you don't have to tell me. I'm just wasting time here in front of this mirror. Pondering over why it is I that must live with that arrogant, foolish man."

Monroe slowly walked behind Elizette's chair. She was only a year older than Monroe. She took care of her, she told Monroe her deepest secrets and feelings. Monroe wouldn't have been happy too if she were to be married to Florent Francois. Monsieur Francois is Elize's elder by eleven years. He's rich, handsome and very powerful, born and raised in France. Not like Elizette, and he wasn't afraid to remind her of his superiority to her because of this.

He has little respect for women, but that was common for a lot of Frenchmen. In front of her parents, he acts all pompous, like Monsieur Aliere, treating her like she was invisible, like she meant nothing to him; once they leave he becomes her puppet, buying her everything, just to win her over. It made Monroe wonder why he would do such things if they're already married. Maybe it just seems proper.

"Let me fix your hair", Monroe's voice monotoned as always. Elizette knew Monroe hated life, and she couldn't do anything to change it. Elizette felt sorry for Monroe. She knew once she'd leave to go live with Francois, her parents would torture Monroe. She has thought many times to bring Monroe along with her to the Francois plantation. She brought it up once to her mother, but despite how much Madame Aliere despised Monroe, she refused Elizette the right.

She examined Monroe's reflection in the mirror. She was lighter than the other creole workers on the plantation, same kinky hair but longer and brighter. Dark hazel eyes, a small yet wide nose, and thin lips. Broad shoulders, thin waist, she didn't need to wear a girdle. Elizette began to smile. There was something about Monroe that made her feel connected to her. That unknown connection made her happy.

"Mademoiselle?", Monroe met Elizette's green eyes on the mirror, "I have your dress ready for you."

Elizette looked over her shoulder and saw her favorite light blue traveling dress. She stood up and Monroe swiftly stepped aside.

"Thank you, Monroe.", Elizette gracefully stepped over to Monroe and hugged her. "You can leave now. I know my father and Florent are waiting for you."

She let go of Monroe with a soft and sad expression on her face. Monroe left the room and closed the door behind her.

It is twelve in the afternoon. Monroe has to hurry along into the kitchen and place the food onto the dinner table before Monsieur Aliere and Florent sees her.