18. What's the price?

Start from the beginning

  She nods and that’s good enough for me. He suffered so much in Paxia and survived for so long. It’s only fair he gets a second chance in life without remembering what he went through. I feel relieved. At least he isn’t dead. I can live with him not remembering me as long as he isn’t gone forever.

  Dahlí jumps awkwardly from foot to foot like she’s waiting for me to put two and two together. I have no idea what so I just ignore her till a point where she must tell me.

  “Your father knows about this treatment.”

  My whole world freezes at the mention. My dead legs. My lips starts to tremble and she shakes her head at me.

  “I guess it is too late now,” I add sadly.

  “He didn’t want to take the risk of bringing you here. Lila wouldn’t have let him leave again.”

  “Of course not,” I say sarcastically. “It’s better that I’m a freak for the rest of my life. My mom would have done anything to cure me. My dad is too scared to do the things he can.” I give Lex another inspecting look. He seems to do well in there. “Are there any side effects?”

  “Memory loss and extreme well-being,” she tells me darkly like it’s the worst kind of disease.

  I chuckle at her. “Lila is really pissed at my Dad, right?”

  “You have no idea,” she answers me and rolls her eyes. “Well you can go back to bed or whatever now. I will visit my pet before I crash.”

  I’m finally alone with Lex. He seems to be resting comfortably with fluffy white blankets under him. He is wearing white clean clothes and he looks so handsome.

  “Lex, can you hear me?” I start speaking slowly. “There is so much I want to say to you. But it’s really quite simple. All I need to tell you is that I love you. I love you enough to let you go. Live well. You if anyone deserve to be happy. I will always remember your smile, your touch and every kiss you gave me. I will always remember how you saved my life and the first time I met you. Be happy that you don’t remember anything. You will always be in my heart.”

-

  “Are you sure that you are ready to leave?” Lila asks worriedly.

  “What’s the point of staying when you don’t want to tell me anything more about Paxia until I return next time?”

  We are standing in the clinic and Lila now knows about Lex. She doesn’t mind sending us both back to where we belong. She looks truly sad about letting me go.

  “I just hope your Dad will help you find the key. He can also make it harder for you to return. Be firm about it. I wish you the best of luck.”

  I wish Dahlí could be here to wave goodbye, but she stated during lunch that she has more important things to do like keeping a whole world intact. She already wasted enough time on our love story. She is just acting all tough and I don’t mind it. She has a heart made of gold under all those layers of rock.

  It feels amazing to return back home. I can’t wait to meet my family again. I missed them so much! All time in Paxia made me appreciate the small things in life, like a clean living standard, real food and neighbours who doesn’t want to eat you.

  I will also miss other things, like my time with Lex and Tarih. I will be stuck in a wheelchair again.

  At least I’m not completely paralyzed.

  “I will bring back the key to you, Lila,” I promise her. “I’ll never stop no matter how long it takes.”

  She picks up something from her pocket and holds it up for me to take. It’s a necklace. It is a brown leather string with a dark purple crystal globe shaped pendant sitting in a golden holder.