Chapter II - Different

Koyoharu Gotouge owns Kimetsu no Yaiba :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italics - Flashback/Dream

'Italics' - Thoughts

"Get lots of rest okay?" Nekuzo ruffled Takeo's hair, before picking up the tray of food and delivering it to her mother.

"Nezuko, it's dangerous with all this snow. You don't have to go, you know?" Her mother placed a hand on Nezuko's cheek, worry in her eyes.

Nezuko gently held her mother's hand, determination lit in her eyes. "I want everyone to eat their fill on New Years, so I'll go sell as much charcoal as I can, even if it's just a little. So don't worry about me okay? Save your worry for Takeo, I want him to have a great New Year, or else he'll be upset." 'and Nii-chan too'

"..Thank you, Nezuko." Her mother stood up "Now go get ready. I can't have you going off into the village and getting your kimono dirty."

"Hehehe, I'll be quick." Nezuko ran off to the kitchen, quickly preparing a small breakfast. She quietly made her way to the last room down the hall, Tanjirou's room, and quietly slid the door open. Her efforts were in vain though, as Tanjirou seemed to jolt up from his position on the floor.

"..I brought breakfast." She placed the tray down, Tanjirou's dull eyes never leaving her form. She sighed and picked up the chopsticks, feeding him the bowl. It was too quiet, the temperature of the room decorating the atmosphere.

"You know, I've been saving up money," She started. "I remember how you wanted to buy me a new kimono, and I wanted to do the same." She held back tears at the memory.

"I saw this blue scarf on the stands in the village yesterday." She watched as Tanjirou shivered" It reminded me of your scarf. The one I made for you." She put the chopsticks down, the memory quickly surfacing.

"You made me a scarf? Thanks, Nezuko!" Tanjirou wrapped the scarf around his neck with a cheery smile on his face. "I'm going to wear it every day, and one day, I'll buy you a beautiful kimono, so you don't have to keep sowing your kimono together, okay? I know how you've been wanting a new kimono."

"No, it's alright. Save the money for our siblings. They need it more. Besides, this is my favorite kimono." Nezuko had refused.

"Then I'll just save up for all of us!" Tanjirou decided.

Nezuko couldn't hold back her tears anymore. She picked up the tray and quickly stood up. "I-I have to go. They're depending on me to sell the coal since Takeo couldn't go today. I'll be back..." Nezuko washed the dishes, before going to change out of her pink kimono.

Slipping on a brown yukata, Nezuko picked up the basket of coal by the door and slipped on her sandals, ready to head off into the village. "Nezuko!" Her mother called.

"Thank you so much, Nezuko", her mother embraced her. "Be safe okay?"

Nezuko wrapped her arms around her mother, "Yeah, I'll make sure to bring back the medicine for Takeo."

Hanako slowly approached her big sister, "Um, Onee-san, be back soon, okay?"

"Yeah, we'll be waiting for you, so come back fast!" Shigeru added.

"Yeah, I'll be back so fast, you wouldn't even know I was gone!" Nezuko pumped a fist into the air.

"Sleep well, okay?" Nezuko gave Rokuto a small pat on the head before walking off to the village.