I slapped him five and returned the greeting before facing Lauryn.

“This is my little brother Miles,” she said.

I nodded. “Didn’t think I’d run into you again.”

Lauryn smirked. “I bet you didn’t, Mr. Marquise Nathanial Brown.”

She’d done her homework, which could only mean the inevitable, she knew about the accident and about Robyn.

That was the trouble with meeting people. At first, fans came off genuine and nice, and then they’d start to ask questions about the accident and the rumors. It happened almost every time I’d met someone since the accident. I almost expected it to pop up in every conversation.

“Imagine my surprise when I went into work the next day to see that we weren’t under new management. Quite frankly, I was a little disappointed,” she went on.

She was teasing me, but not in a cruel way. For that I managed to smile off her comment and laugh at my ego.

“I decided that the restaurant business wasn’t the way to go,” I replied.

“Uh-huh, I’ll bet.” She toyed with the camera I suddenly realized was around her neck before lifting her focus back to me. “So I heard some of your stuff,” Lauryn said as she crossed her arms. “Someone had your CDs on their dresser and it helped.”

Her little brother all but looked embarrassed by the outing. “It’s just to help get the ladies,” he quickly put in.

Sure.

“Well she thinks you’re cute,” Miles blurted out as he pointed to his sister accusingly.

Lauryn frowned. “I did not say that.”

So I was ugly?

“You were all ‘oh he’s so cute.’ ” Her brother spoke in a dreaming voice and I could see Lauryn’s face heating up.

“Don’t talk to strangers, Miles!” she snapped.

Miles clicked his tongue. “But he’s famous. They like get a pass or something.” He looked to me and shrugged before heading over to the hoops to shoot around.

I grabbed a seat on the nearby bench and Lauryn joined me, leaving enough space between us to where we weren’t too close.

“I’m sorry about the money thing,” I said. “I usually go to the same places and the people don’t make me pay. It’s like an honor to feed me or something. I guess that’s gone to my head.”

“It’s okay.” She shrugged. “I’m actually sorry I didn’t know who you were before.” She seemed shy as she looked down at her lap. “Your music’s good, like, real good.”

Before, it would’ve been a compliment, now, it barely penetrated the ice that had become my heart. “Thanks.”

“I actually stayed up watching your videos and interviews one night. I feel so silly for not knowing you sooner.”

I furrowed my brows. “So you had an all-night stalking session? I don’t think I’m comfortable having this conversation anymore.”

Lauryn snorted and rolled her eyes. “No, you’re a celebrity, it doesn’t count. Besides, I guess you can say I liked what I heard enough to check you out.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Thanks.”

She held up her finger as if to illustrate a point. “The thing I like most is that you said you were influenced by Musiq Soulchild and some ’90s R&B. I swear everyone else just says Michael Jackson or something. Your answer seems the most honest and genuine. Heck, you don’t even dance in your videos.”