Prologue

'Catharina, a little faster please?' I looked as my little sister sprinted to get next to me. 'What did father say? No lingering.' 

'I am sorry, Adriana.' she said. 'Can you please slow down a little? I am tired.' 

I sighed and was right in time to pull Catharina away from the road, otherwise she would have been ran over by someone on a horse. I fell on a few pointy stones, but Catharina was safe. She didn't hurt herself, and that was the most important thing. Well, yes. If you didn't take the groceries into account. My dad would kill me it I let something happen to those things. 

'Hey! Can't you watch where you are going?' I called after the man while I pushed myself up. He was clearly not used to being talked to in that way, because he turned his horse with a grim face and stopped right before us. 

'Excuse me?'

'Can't you watch where you are going? You nearly ran us over.' He dismounted his horse, clearly not pleased. 

I looked at him and immediately pulled Catharina behind me once I realized who, or what, he was. 

'Vampire.' I hissed. I was sure my sister didn't hear me. He looked surprised I recognized his sort, but his eyes had betrayed his true origin. They were not just blue, they were purple. There were 2 options: he was very pissed, or he was thirsty. Either way, it wasn't good. 

He looked me up, as if I were a toy. Nothing more, nothing less. 

'You're bleeding.' 

'I am what?' I nervously laughed. 

'You are bleeding.' He grabbed my arm, right in one of the wounds and showed it to me. Just like I didn't know I was bleeding. It was hard enough to control myself if I smelled it, but seeing it was torture. 

I pulled my arm out of his grip. 'Just be more careful next time, alright?' I turned to Catharina 'Come on, we need to get home.' I grabbed her hand and started walking home, not remarking the vampire put the finger which had a drop of my blood on it in his mouth. 

...

'Where were you!' my father yelled once we finally got into the house. I nodded at Catharina. I would deal with it, she could go. 

'The walk home took a little longer than expected, father.' I said. 'I am sorry.' 

'Go help your mother.' He sighed. I nodded and got to the kitchen. 

'Mother?' I made a little bow. 

'You're late.' 

'I am sorry. Some guy nearly ran us over and..' She looked me up and down. 

'Where did you get that wound?'

'It's an old one. Really.' I smiled. 

'Where did you get it?'

'I just fell. It's nothing.' I looked at the wound. It looked as if it were a day or 2 old. In 2 days it would have completely dissapeared. She looked at me for a few more seconds. 

'Can you lay the table? We will eat in a few minutes.' 

'Alright.' 

Not that much later we were all eating. 

'So, Adriana, Catharina told me you guys met a young man today?' 

'He nearly ran us over, father. Nothing special.' 

'You should have seen her!' said Catharina, not paying attention to my deathstare. 'She just started yelling at him and she put him in his place!' 

'Is that true, Adriana?'

'Well, I didn't really yell at him..' I tried to save myself, but I knew it was a lost cause. 

'I think you've eaten enough. I don't want to see you any more today.' I nodded and walked out of the house. If he didn't want to see me anymore, I couldn't get into the bed either. So, I just had to get to the stables. 

I was welcomed by Bess, our own horse. We were lucky to have one. 

'Can I get to sleep here, Bess?' I asked. The horse snorted, something I saw as a 'yes, go ahead.' so I just went to sit in the fresh straw and looked at the wounds. I nearly lost control today. I need to be more responsible. And well, I need to feed myself a little more often. 

My hand slipped on the ground until I found a sharp stone. I didn't really like to do it, but I won't become any more of a monster. I will never kill a human just to meet my own selfish needs. I won't. I might be the same kind as them, but I will never be like them. Never. 

I put a little pressure on the stone and it cut trough my flesh. I quickly put my wrist against my mouth, I could not afford myself to waste even a small drop. 

I drank until I heard hoofbeats on the ground. Who could that be this late? 

I battled the need to go looking and remained seated. If someone would come in here my hearing would warn me, and no human would be faster than me. 

A man dismounted: I heard the soft sound when he hit the ground. 

'Good evening sir.' My fathers voice sounded very polite. Too polite. Who could it be this late? And why would my father be this polite? Most noblemen would be safe and sound in their castles and other kinds of house right now, right? So if someone would come this late, it would be one of the neighbours, and that isn't a reason to talk like this. 

'Good evening. Is this the house of the family Meredith?' a voice said. I recognized it from somewhere, but I don't know where from. 

'Y.. yes, it is, my lord. I am Charles Meredith. Can I ask you why?' Now I really started to get nervous. Just like my father. 

'I should not allow to be spoke to this way. What I do or why I am here doesn't concern you in most cases. But I will not pay attention to it this time. I want to see your daughters.' the voice said. 

What? Daughters? Catharina and me? Why? 

________________________________________________________________________________

HI EVERYBODY,

I WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR STARTING TO READ MY STORY. THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I EVER WROTE IN ENGLISH, SO BE FREE TO TELL ME IF I MAKE A MISTAKE. 

SO, EUH, THAT'S ALL I WANTED TO SAY ACTUALLY, HAVE A NICE DAY :)