Chapter 4: "Lonely Words and Empty Threats

Start from the beginning

Hunting had always come easy; learning to find food was  a necessity and boy, did it come in handy. Daryl's skill was just about useless if there was no prey around.

"Come on," he muttered, a small whistle escaping his lips. "Out ya come."

Daryl was surprised when something whistled back. But this wasn't something, this was someone.

"We just wanna talk," came a voice, authoritative. "I've got people to protect, just wanna make sure you're not going to be a threat to us, okay?"

"Come out," Daryl growled, raising his crossbow protectively.

"Look, we've got women and children, no reason we can't bargain with you here. Just wanna know, you got a group?"

Daryl tensed, not once allowing himself to let his guard down. "No, just me."

"Daryl, best if we don't lie to each other. Now, do you have a group? Because I know for a fact there are five people with you, back at your camp. Believe it or not, we've been watching you for a while. I promised her we wouldn't hurt you but we're hungry."

"Who'd you make a promise too and how do you know my name?"

There was a crunch of leaves then another girl entered the scene. "Hey, Gareth, what are we even hunt-"

The girl stopped dead in her path, swallowing the anxiety that swelled in her throat. She didn't acknowledge him, instead lowered her eyes to the ground, kicking at the cold ground. "Should I tell Beth we found-"

"No," barked the man now identified as Gareth. "She doesn't need to know. Alex, Azy, take him back to a train car. Simon, help me look for his group."

"I don't want to go back with Alex-"

"Is there a problem?"

Azy winced, casting a glance towards Daryl. "No, he just- You know what he did to me," she finally hissed, holding her gun like her lifeline. "I don't feel entirely comfortable going back with him considering the situation. "

"Then take Simon with you, I'll find the pig's group."

Azy clenched her jaw, casting a venomous look at the leader. "Is it easier to name your food, Gareth? What are we doing with 'the pig'? Making him into bacon, right?"

"Fine, you come with me and Simon and Alex will take him back."

"How many of them are there back at your camp?" she asked harshly despite the softness in her eyes.

Daryl squinted at her, watching her panicked expression. "About five; two babies, a teenager and two adults."

"Think we can handle them, Gareth? Sounds like a handful," she said, hopeful that the man would reconsider. "I mean, there's two of us against five other people, unless he's lying, which I doubt. Two babies, a teenager and two adults?"

"We'll be fine," Gareth insisted, stepping forward to grab Daryl's crossbow. "Alex and Simon, escort him back. Train Cart A is our emptiest, put him in there. Azy and I will go back to find his group."

{________________}

She trekked along, shivering in the wind that felt like ice against her skin. "Why aren't we going to tell Beth? You know she needs to know, Gareth."

"Best if she doesn't know her family is supper-"

"Wow, what? We're killing them? I thought we were just going to take 'em in, ya know? I don't want any part in killing her family if that's what you're implying. We're friends now, we're friends with Beth too. We don't kill friends; if they're Beth's friends then they're ours."