Chapter 36

"WHAT PART OF 'YOU FOLLOW everything I say' didn't you understand?" Matthew asked, as he grabbed May who yet again tried to run into a local shop down the street of Italy.

"The pronouns were a little screwy. You should have switched them up. Can we please go in here?" May tried to drag Matthew with her into the little store, but it was like moving a brick wall.

"Darling, we have an appointment with the connoisseur in five minutes, and we're at least fifteen minutes away from him."

"You're the one who wanted to walk from the hotel."

Matthew smiled down at the woman in front of him. He had thought that coming back to Italy would have brought a shell around her, but she seemed to blossom more every hour they were there. They had gotten two hotel rooms at May's insistence, but the night before she had begged Matthew not to leave her room until she had fallen asleep. Matthew had obliged and stayed there until one of his teammates were able to take over the watching of May. The next day he switched her single room to a double room so he could sleep in there with her. He also told his teammates that May was absolutely never to be left alone. Although she had her pick of men to be with, she never left Matthew's side when she was awake.

He kissed May, bringing her happily into his mouth. He was grateful she was so easily able to be with him. He kissed her again. "I only thought of walking because I thought it wouldn't take too long. But you keep wanting to jump into every store, café, and building from here to the art museum."

"How about you go on without me?"

"Not going to happen. Let's go."

"Matt, I want to draw something. And you're not giving me anytime to actually look at anything." May tried to pull Matthew over to the edge of the bridge, but he was stronger and easily lifted her off the ground.

"We got to our apartment at three in the morning yesterday, or today rather, and we've only been on the street for fifteen minutes. After our meeting, I'll take you were you want to go."

"I don't really want to go to the meeting," May complained as they neared the gallery.

"Why is that, darling?"

"Because he's going to ask me to extend my contract, and I won't be able to say no."

Matthew laughed. "I'll say no for you."

"Promise? You can't change your mind."

"I won't change my mind. If you don't want the contract extended, then it won't be extended."

"No, because he will convince me to extend it. You have to be the one that does the refusing. Promise me?"

"All right. I promise."

May smiled, relaxing as she found out that everything was going to be taken care of for her. Slipping her hand into Matthew's, she calmly walked down the road to the gallery with no memories to plague her from the first visit. Matthew was with her, and Matthew managed to chase the shadows away.

"Miss Pardina, what a pleasure to see you again." The connoisseur greeted the couple as they entered the gallery, He gently kissed May on both cheeks before turning to Matthew and extending his hand. "And you must be Mr. Hughes."

"Please call me Jack."

"Jack, then. I am Mr. De Luca, I am the connoisseur of this gallery, and I am thrilled to hear that Miss Pardina is interested in selling her pieces. I know many people who have questioned me about their availability. I am pleased to tell them that they will be going on the market soon. Please, come this way. I will show you were your pictures are currently being displayed."

"It's going to be okay," Matthew whispered as they followed De Luca.

"It's easy for you to say. You're not going to see your pictures."

Matthew squeezed her hand as laughed. "Darling, do you know how many people drive over the bridge that I designed."

"See it's all about you. If I..." May stopped talking as she entered the alcove where four of her pictures were up. She hadn't seen them in over three years and still she could remember every stroke of the charcoal. They were her favorite four pieces with the exception of the one she had done of Matthew and the one that her attacker had taken from her.

"They are amazing," Matthew whispered into her ear.

"Thank you."

"As you can see, Miss Pardina, we have taken great care of your pictures. I know we have discussed this at length, but I would like to request one more time that you allow the pictures to stay in our care for a little while longer. They are one of our best showcases."

"Though Miss Pardina would love to help you out, as you know she intends to sell her work. Perhaps if you could help arrange some buyers she would be convinced to leave behind one or two of her pieces for you to care for."

The connoisseur nodded. "I have kept a list of those interested in your work. Some have called numerous times to see if you had changed your mind. Let me find that for you."

May waited for the connoisseur to leave before turning to Matthew and slapping him on the chest. "I told you to say no."

"May, I promise unless you absolutely refuse that none of your pictures will be left in Italy when we leave."

"Five of them have been stolen, Matt," May pointed out.

"Six, darling, six of them have."

For the first time a cloud descended over her head. "I know."

"You'll have them all back."

The connoisseur came back into the room carrying a file. "These are the people who have inquired about the selling of the drawings. The most frequent are on the top of the list."

Matthew took the file and flipped through it, whistling low under his breath as he did.

"As you can see, Miss Pardina's art is very popular."

Matthew scanned the names, searching for the one Silver had given him. He wasn't at all surprised to see it on the list, but he was surprised to note that it was closer to the end of the list instead of the top. According to the information provided he had only called a handful of times. If he hadn't known the name ahead of time he would have wasted a lot of valuable time running down the people at the top of the lists.

The connoisseur noticed that Matthew was beginning to leave. "Sir, if you would like, the museum will contact the buyers to let them know that the art is for sale."

Matthew looked up from the file. "Miss Pardina will take it from here. It would be helpful if we could use the name of the museum and possibly make the appointments here. That way we wouldn't need to move the art."

"Of course. We will do anything to accommodate Miss Pardina."

"We will be in touch." Matthew took May's hand.

May stayed near Matthew, not moving from his side as they walked away from the museum. She laid her head on his shoulder as they walked, trying desperately to get closer to Matthew and his strength. She need him to keep her safe. It wasn't until he wrapped his arm around her that she was able to relax.