Chapter 1

“Is that Cari?”

Stephen’s eyes refused to look away from the wallet-size picture of the stunning brunette taped to the inside of his red locker door. She wore a simple white tank top that emphasized her outstandingly fit body. She was flashing a smile so dazzling one would swear it had the power to cure diseases. In her arms was a boy no older than six gleefully waving at the camera with a big toothy grin. That picture was the sole decoration the large, broad-shouldered man allowed in his locker, the one small area of the wrestling gym he claimed for himself. Jimmy Park’s question echoed throughout the otherwise empty locker room and Stephen had yet to acknowledge it. He was too preoccupied with sliding on his blue jeans and gazing at the picture, lost in the depths of his wife’s striking blue eyes which had a certain hypnotic quality to them that shone through even in the tiny photograph.

Park slapped his right fingerless-gloved hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Hey, Barker. You alright, man?”

Stephen’s nose immediately wrinkled as he snapped out of his trance-like state. “What the hell is that you’re wearing?”

Park pointed at the bottle in his locker. “GCL Reality.”

Stephen stifled a laugh as he grabbed his light blue button-down shirt from his locker. “My God, they released their own cologne? What do they put in it, concentrated Kyle Flyte sweat?”

Park shut his locker door, blocking his treasure from any additional mockery. “I like it and so do the ladies. You should see how they flock to me when I’m wearing it.”

“They like it because it keeps away the mosquitoes.”

“You’re just jealous, that’s all.”

Stephen nodded and rolled his eyes. “Yeah, that’s it. Jealous.”

Park looked over Stephen’s shoulder and got a closer look at the picture. “Is that Cari? My God, she didn’t even look this good at your wedding. When the hell’d you get this taken?”

“Last week.”

“Eight long years with you and she still looks this good? If she’s ever looking for an affair…” Before he could finish his sentence, Stephen gave him a quick punch right in the gut. Park took a step back.

“I’ll remember that when we’re at the tryouts,” Park taunted while rubbing his stomach.

“Good. That was the idea.”

Park walked back to his locker and grabbed his bag as Stephen opened his wallet. All the requirements were there: state ID, social security card, government assistance charge card with a valid date on it. No cash inside, but he didn't need weird looks from anyone. "What are you doing with THAT?!" he had heard cash handlers being asked.

As Stephen slipped his wallet into his pants, Park asked, “You didn’t tell Cari about this whole thing, did you?”

“What do you mean?” Stephen asked as he slid on his shirt and buttoned it up.

“Last time I was over for dinner, she had a shit fit because Tommy was watching a GCL show. Now, here you are, trying out for the company. What’s she gonna say if you get accepted?”

“I’ll let the contract do all the talking. Once she realizes how much money we’ll be making, she should come around.”

“And if she asks you what you’ve been doing all this time? You’ve been out of work for what, three months now?”

“She knows I’ve been looking. And hey, look at what I’m doing here. If I can get in, we can build up enough credit to live in Manhattan!”

“And there’s always a chance to try out for the other rosters. There’s more than just the Eastern Division, you know.”