Strawberry shortcake

A/n: yes this was very much inspired by K12.

AU: high school.

Hc: a corrupt dress code tries to send you home for wearing shorts "too short". L is having none of that.

As much as you hated the place, it was a place you had to go in order to go places in this corrupt world. Who else hated school? L. His hatred stemmed more from being too smart for the system. He's already a detective behind the scenes, but he's stuck in this place with you until graduation or ageing out of school. It was getting warmer now that summer was coming, so you'd dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. How L was still wearing his long clothes you'd never know, but he's L, you didn't question it.

You walked into your classroom, sitting down next to L and immediately pushing your desk against his to talk.

"Fuck it's getting hot" you complained.

"I know, it's getting stupid temperates now. Wanna go swimming after school or something?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm dying here"

The teacher walked in. L hated this particular teacher, so he had a particularly sassy mouth toward him. All the other teachers adored L, the straight A student. But not this teacher. English was pretty boring anyway, so L never really did anything.

"Would you look at that, the devil himself has arrived" L sighed.

"Ew..."

You didn't really like this teacher either, he was a jerk.

"Alright class, enough chit chat. We have a book report to finish" he said.

Of course both you and L ignored him. You just continued to talk about various cases popping up in the news. While L knew everything about current police cases, you knew about all the fights going on around school.

"So, that fight in the parking lot yesterday. Diana won, she pulled out Kristine's hair extensions and slammed her into the floor" you said.

"Jesus... girl fights are feral. What was it over anyway?"

"A boy, what else would it be about in this damn school?"

"Ugh, why can't people just... I don't know... not be stupid?" L complained.

"Sadly, not everyone has your smarts" you replied.

"(Y/n)"

You and L looked over at the teacher, who's just called you.

"Speaking of stupid..." L mumbled under his breath.

You sighed and stood up.

"Yeah?"

"Care to explain what you're wearing?" The teacher said.

"Uh- clothes?"

The class snickered at your sass.

"Those shorts are way too short, it's against the dress code"

You just starred dumbfounded. These shorts? That were almost past your thighs? Just above the knee? Really.

"Sir, they go way past my fingertips" you said.

"They don't cover all your thighs. I'm going to have to write you up"

"Because legs are soooo sexual..." L scoffed.

The teacher was getting mad now. Every time L spoke up it ended in an argument.

"Excuse me Ryuzaki?" He asked.

"If you and all your teacher friends think legs are sexual, you obviously don't get out much. I can guarantee you that not a single student cares about another student legs in the slightest" L sassed.

"Are you asking for a detention?"

"You know full well I won't show up, unlike some people I have a life outside school"

You tried not to laugh at L's sass, the rest of the class trying not to giggle along with you.

The teacher let out a frustrated sigh.

"Stay out of this Ryuzaki" he said.

"No"

"Excuse me?"

"No, those shorts go way past her fingertips. You just have a grudge against us. The dress code is corrupt and sexist enough without you playing favourites" L scolded.

"Ryuzaki don't you use that tone with me"

"So? I've noticed you let the year 12s wear shorts way shorter. Not a single student cares about clothes, the dress code is not 'protecting us'. It's sexist, stopping students from expressing themselves and is just furthering proof of teachers having favourites and being sketchy"

The whole year group knew L, or Ryuzaki to them was always the one who defended you. God forbid someone pick on you because he'll pull stings and get them suspended. He has the strongest sense in justice in the whole school. Little to they know it's because he's actually L... the class this would end in one of two ways.

The argument would go in circles and waste time until the teacher gives up. Or you and L will be sent to the principal, but the two of you would probably just make the office trip and ditch the rest of the day. L definitely had more important things to do than be here. Like solve high profile cases and go swimming with you.

"If you want to question the dress code you can do that in the principals office. You too (y/n) get a dress code violation slip" the teacher scoffed.

The two of you just happily picked up your bags and left, not planning on coming back. You laughed as you strutted up to the office where you walked in and sat down, the principal immediately knowing why L was there.

"Back talking again?" He asked.

"With good reason" L replied.

"And (y/n)?"

"Apparently my shorts are too short"

The principal gestured for you to stand up and you did, putting your arms to your sides and showing your fingertips nowhere near your shorts cuffs.

"You're fine. I don't know what the teachers on about"

"Thank you!" You exclaimed.

"I'm guessing you were involved in all this?" He asked, turning to L.

"Yes. I want simply stating that her shorts were fine. God forbid a girl wear clothes suited to the weather" L replied.

"Well, yes. You do have a point. Although I don't know how you're still wearing long clothes..."

"Don't question it, he's Ryuzaki" you laughed.

"You're both fine. Just stop talking back ok?" The principal said, waving you off.

You thanked him, grabbed you bags and left.

"Well that was pointless" L scoffed.

"Man, fuck this place. Wanna just ditch and get ice cream, go swimming and then we can go back to your place and solve some cases?" You asked.

"I'll race you to the ice cream parlour"