Chapter Six: I Love You

"Cooper Joshua Griffin! Why did you leave me out there all alone!"

Cooper fell into the sand laughing. "I couldn't help it. You were so mesmerized by the sight, so I didn't want to disturb you."

Whitley ran over and began playfully slapping his arm. "Well, I could have died out there. I was terrified when I saw you were gone. I thought something bad happened, and I was prepared to jump in after you."

Cooper stood and grabbed her in his arms. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. It won't happen again."

"Good." She nodded and settled into his embrace.

She stared into his gorgeous brown eyes. Why hadn't she noticed how much they sparkled? Why hadn't she noticed the effect he had on her?

She felt his heart beating next to hers and almost cried. They were really close. Too close.

Cooper leaned forward as if he was about to kiss her. Whitley felt her breath hitch and wasn't sure what do.

As he leaned closer, she felt as her heart was about to explode from her chest.

Next thing she knew, Cooper's arm went around her neck. He gave her hair one gentle tug and took off running across the sand.

"Cooper! What? My heart was pounding out of my chest. What was that for?" She laughed and ran across the sand after him.

She heard his laughter, but she couldn't see him. "Cooper! You can come out now. Are you chicken?"

He laughed again. She couldn't tell how close he was. She stood frozen on the sand with her arms crossed. "You have until three to come out now! One..............Two.............."

She didn't even receive the chance to say three when she felt hands grab her waist and bring her forward.

Cooper laughed as he held her close. "I've got you now. I am never letting you go."

Whitley didn't even have a chance to react before Cooper leaned forward and claimed her lips.

She melted in his arms and returned his kiss. It was so much better than she had ever imagined.

He pulled away too soon and placed his forehead against hers. "I've been waiting to kiss you for a while now. I just wanted to have a perfect moment. What better moment than when you are caught off guard."

Whitley smiled and leaned into his arms. "Well, I'm glad you did. I thought I would have to hold you down one day."

Cooper laughed. "So, this isn't the most romantic way to ask, but will you be my girlfriend? I promise I'll make it up to you with a fancy dinner tomorrow night."

Whitley felt her smile grow as she stared at him. "Of course I will be your girlfriend. But, you should ask my dad first."

Cooper looked away. "I already did. I called him in Walmart while you were trying on bathing suits. He gave me permission."

"Cooper, you are seriously too sweet. How am I so lucky?"

He shrugged and held her close. "I wonder the same thing."

Whitley looked into the distance. "But what about last night? What about my major mess up?"

Cooper shook his head. "Whatever happens, I will be here for you. Never forget that. Promise?"

She nodded into his chest. "I promise."

Cooper placed his fingers under her chin and brought her face back up towards his. As he claimed her lips once more, Whitley felt as if she was on cloud nine.

"I love you, Whitley." Cooper whispered against her lips.

She smiled and whispered back, "I love you too, Cooper."