Chapter 21: Shinji vs Shiki

"Are you ready to go Shinji?"

"Ready," Shinji replied, raising his arm ready to duel. Both of them nodded and drew their cards.

"Duel!"

*Starting: Shiki*

"I draw and summon Dark Effigy, then set two cards face down and end my turn,"

*turn end*
Shiki: Hand: 3, LP: 5000, Set S/T 2

Shinji: Hand 5, LP 5000, Set S/T 0

Turn Start: Shinji

"I draw and activate Twin Twisters, discarding my Black Stone of Legend to destroy your set cards,"

"I activate my skill Card Safe. This skill allows me to pay 1000 life points to negate the destruction of spell and traps for the rest of this turn, however I can only use it once in a duel,"

"Alright," Shinji whispered to himself. "I should stick to burn. If those traps are battle traps, then I'd have no way to deal with them for now," Shinji nodded.

"Okay. Here's what I'm going to do. I activate Red-Eyes Insight to send Red-Eyes Black Dragon to the grave, and add Red-Eyes Fusion. Next I activate Red-Eyes fusion and send Red-Eyes Toon and Alternative to the grave to fusion summon Black Comet Dragon,"

"Black Comet Dragon's effect. I send Red-Eyes Black Dragon to the grave and deal half it's atk to you,"

"Go on ahead Shinji," Shiki said as he raised his arm to shield his eyes from the blast of holographic fire.

*Shiki: 5000 —> 3800*

"I activate Red-Eyes Inferno to burn you for 3500 more damage,"

"Hold up.I use Spell of Pain. Spell of Pain is a quick-play that reflects all effect damage back to you,"

"Why would you play a card like that? Just to counter me?" Shinji tilted his head to one side.

"No...Well yes. I knew you played burn, but I expected to play against a chain burn somewhere in this tournament, and I had a few open slots so..." Shiki trailed off.

"Okay. That's understandable."

*Shinji: 5000 —> 1500*

"If I don't play this carefully, then I could lose in a snap, but if I wait too long then he'll definitely win. Okay, I'll take a risk. Hopefully it pays off,"

*Battle Phase*

"I attack with Black Comet Dragon,"

A smile curled up on Shiki's face and Shinji immediately got an idea on what that set card was.

"I activate Magic Cylinder. I negate the attack and send it back to you,"

Shinji appeared stunned for a moment before collapsing back into his normal attitude. "Alright you got me," he said with laugh. "Let me guess, a free slot?"

Shiki smiled honestly and nodded. "I actually built my deck more around springing traps and quick-plays rather than my spellcasters. It seems to work so far huh?"

"Yeah it does. I honestly didn't expect that. From your last matchup and all."

"I'm just glad it worked. Well, I wish you luck in the rest of the tourney,"

"You too Shiki,"

*Winner: Shiki*