"Just tell me if you want to leave early, alright?" Kade mumbled into my ear, knocking on the cherrywood doors. "I'll take you to a bar or some shit like that and you can vent to me about all your life problems over something alcoholic."

I smiled, nodding my head just as the door opened. A butler that looked to be around fifty nodded to us. I recognized him as Frederick, Mr. and Mrs. Black's top butler of the house and my personal favourite.

"Good evening, Mr. Black, and to you as well, Ms. Giovanni," he spoke. "Mr. and Mrs. Black are currently waiting for you in the main dining hall, if you could follow me?"

I silently nodded, tightening my hold on Kade's arm as we walked through the giant house. Though the outside looked Victorian and old, the interior had all modern appliances and decorations. It was an odd transition, if anything.

My heart pounded in my throat as my heels clicked against the dark flooring, my hands clenching into fists as if it would subside the horrible sweating that was returning.

Just as I felt Kade give my shoulder a reassuring squeeze, my phone began to ring through the loud silence. I took it out and glanced at the name, my face falling into a scowl when I saw Tristan's name glowing. I answered it, pressing the phone to my ear.

"What do you want?" I asked, my voice a quiet hiss. "I'm busy."

"I figured," Tristan said, sighing. "Emara, I don't want to not talk about this. We left our phone call on bad terms and—"

"Maybe if you learned to keep your word then we wouldn't even be having this conversation," I snapped back. "Or if you were actually home for once."

I could hear him swear to himself. "Emara, please. I know you're upset about this but if you would just see this in my perspective—"

"I've been upset, you selfish asshole!" I snapped, stopping in my tracks. "Don't you dare tell me to look at this in your perspective because I've been doing that for the last three years! You have left me countless times after knowing I can't stand being alone, knowing that I can't get on a plane for the life of me, and I hate leaving the country! YET YOU STILL DO!"

"Fuck, Emara—"

"I'm staying at Jake's place until you can get your shit together," I interrupted, and that caused him to go deathly silent. "You obviously want to focus on your job right now and you're dragging me down with our relationship."

That's when he began to speak up. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean you being gone all the time for weeks at a time, then you come home and work as if you haven't already been doing that! Do you know how sick I am of never seeing you, Tristan! The first time I saw you since your last trip a month ago was when you kissed me good-bye to go to Rome!"

I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders and I jumped. They began to slowly rub them and I closed my eyes to stop the tears of anger.

"You're not joking," he muttered.

"Why the fuck would I be joking about something like this?" I barked back. "I have a dinner to attend to, Tristan. I'm not talking about this subject until we're in person."

"Emara, don't you—"

I hung up, silencing my phone and closing my eyes tightly. When I turned around, Kade was watching me with concerned eyes, looking over my face slowly.