𝒊𝒊𝒊. THE REUNION

Start from the beginning

After polishing off a quick breakfast and brushing his teeth, Will swiftly threw on one of his favorite outfits and combed through his soft, brunette hair. He snatched his painting from the top of his dresser and scampered out the door behind El.

The two climbed into the Surfer Boy Pizza van, both smiling uncontrollably. Argyle was the designated driver, which probably wasn't the greatest idea considering the fact that he was stoned out of his mind.

Will's leg bounced up and down for the entire journey to the airport due to a combination of excitement and anxiousness buzzing throughout his body. He couldn't wait to reunite with his best friend for the first time in nearly a year.

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🎱 ꒱

As anticipated, the Lenora Hills Airport was packed like sardines, making it somewhat difficult for Will, El, Jonathan, and Argyle to maneuver around. Luckily, they were able to locate the correct gate and find a row of empty seats.

Upon taking their seats, Jonathan and Argyle had completely zoned out. Will wasn't sure whether their behavior was due to the marijuana they had smoked just minutes prior or a feeling of intense boredom taking over, but it was blatantly obvious that they had no desire to be there.

Will, on the other hand, couldn't have been more enthusiastic. Clutching his painting, he glanced over at El and shot a smile in her direction, which she instantly returned. El appeared rather calm and content, but she was still psyched to reunite with her boyfriend.

After what felt like decades of watching the clock tick, an announcement sounded over the loudspeakers and immediately captured the attention of the two step-siblings.

"Flight 623 just landed from Indianapolis and will be arriving at gate two."

Mike's flight had arrived. He was finally in California. Michael Wheeler, the boy Will had been longing to see since the day he left Hawkins, was in the same town as him. As a matter of fact, he was about to be in the same building as him.

Before Will could allow another notion to travel through his brain, passengers began exiting the aircraft. They marched through the boarding bridge and eventually infiltrated the airport. El and Will scanned the massive wave of people before finally spotting Mike.

He wore an amusing tourist-like outfit paired with sunglasses and a bucket hat. His appearance had vastly changed since the summer of 1985. His dark, shaggy hair was longer — about shoulder-length, to be specific. His features were more defined, making him appear more masculine. He had even grown a bit taller. But he was still the same old Mike Wheeler.

El slowly stood up to confirm that she wasn't hallucinating, that the boy she was entranced by was really Mike Wheeler. Sure enough, it was.

"Mike!" She called out, grinning and waving from afar.

"Ah!" He smiled, holding a bouquet of yellow flowers in the air.

Will watched as El trotted up to him, greeted him with a peck on the lips, and enveloped him in a tight embrace. He couldn't deny the immense jealousy he felt while observing them, and he hated himself for feeling that way. He treasured them both and wanted nothing more than for them to be happy — and they were happy. They were in a seemingly perfect, healthy relationship that Will didn't want to interfere with. But deep down, he wished he was the one with his lips pressed against Mike's. He wished he was the one being held in his arms. But it wouldn't happen. It couldn't.