Chapter 1- Nothing More than Ordinary

I never thought my life would ever be exciting. Sure, I was happy, the somewhat quiet suburbs of Chelsea seemed fitting for me. I wasn't exactly shy, but I can't say I'm outgoing either. I've got a few friends, and my family can afford to send me to a high end school here in Britain. I'm not preppy, before you make assumptions. Neither are my friends. I'd rather play football all day than worry about the part in my hair. But hey, I don't judge.

Today was like any other. At least it started that way. All the boring school work came first, six dreadful hours. Tgen, my best friend KD and I hit the park.

KD stands for Katherine Danelle, but she prefers KD. Says it makes her sound less "girlish". If you ask me, she's the least "girlish" girl I know. She loves football like I do, and couldn't care less about boys or lip gloss.

I brought my favorite Chelsea football, my mum got it for my twelfth birthday. Signed by Eden Hazard too. I was the happiest kid on the block that weekend.

I'm seventeen now, and my dad's on a business trip in France. He's not home a lot, it's mostly just me and mum. I can't remember a time when it like this. Ever since I was three, he was taking these business trips to countries all over the globe. I've got a souvenir for every country.

And so does my brother, Ryan. My dad may be gone all the time, but he loves us, amd he makes a point of spending as much time with us as possible when he's home. My mum's a business woman for a small company here in Chelsea. She doesn't like traveling much and only works ten minutes away from home. Ryan and I go to the same school, and he's two years older than me.

I love him, but Ryan can be a royal pain. And anyone who has an older brother shares my pain. Since we're home alone a lot, Ryan has found every possible way to torture me. Most of the time, I didn't mind, unless KD was over. Or worse, if Lanee was over. I had always suspected that Ryan had a little crush on Lanee, but he attacked me if I brought it up. Normally, I'd chill at her place.

Anyway, ignoring my pleas, Ryan tagged along with me and KD to the park. He's a pretty good footballer. He wants to play for Chelsea when he gets out of college, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Ryan took the ball and ran out towards the field, KD and I on his heels. We chased him around for a while, playing keep away with each other. Soon, Ryan tired us out, and we collapsed in the grass. He looks down at us.

"Tired, aren't we, girls?" "Belt up Ryan, I don't think we're in the mood for your antics." I say. "Ah, look who's using big words now." Ryan says. "Don't be so daft." I retort, and squeal when he squirts a stream of cold water out of his water bottle. "Of course. He understands it when you're insulting him." KD snickers. I laugh, which provokes Ryan, and we get up and break into a run, feet pounding on the cement, Ryan in hot pursuit. You'd think we had learned not to mess with Ryan, but it was more of our hobby.

We ran once around the entire park, then doubled back to grab our gear. We always bring our boots to the park and change into them so we don't ruin shoes while playing football. I had gotten a pair of Predators for last Christmas, and they were still being broken in. The cool January air whipped our haor behind us as we ran to my house. We had gained some space between us and Ryan, but he wasn't giving up.

When I turned around again, Ryan wasn't behind us. We reached the porch, and I was about to go up the stair to the door when Ryan jumped out me. I shrieked in surprise, jumped backward, and dropped the key. He must have taken a back route or alleyway. "Quick, around the back!" I whispered sharply to KD. We race towards the back, not noticing I has dropped the house keys. So, of course, when we tried the door, it was locked. "How could I be so daft!?" I exclaim, pounding a fist against the glass door. "So, girls, who's the idiot now?" "Something tells me it's still you." KD retorts. Ryan glares. "Sounds like someone needs some time in the box." KD's eyes grow wide with fear.

'The box' was Ryan's walk-in closet. Ryan never cleans it, and it's probably in worse condition than a nuclear watse plant. I had only been in there once, thank God, but KD had worse luck than I did. She had been in 'the Box' a record breaking five times in the past two months. She had made a hobby out of messing with Ryan, and never seemed to learn her lesson. Today, however, she seemed determined to stay away from the punishment.

"C'mon, Ryan. Man up. We meant no harm, obviously, you're too sensitive to understand that." I knew it was the wrong thing to say as soon as I said it. Ryan's eyes flared and he grabbed my arm and dragged me to his room. "No wait, please, Ryan, I didn't mean it! Ryan, no, NO!" He tossed me into 'the Box' and shut the door. I pounded my fists against the door. "Let me out! Ryan!" I was knee deep in filth, and I struggled to maintain on the surface of the disaster pile.

After what felt like ages, KD opens the door. I scramble out, greedily breathing in the fresh air. "How. Long. Was. I. In. There?" I asked between gasps of air. "Longer than I've ever been." KD answers. I notice there are red marks around her wrists. "Oh, blimey KD, what happened to your hands?" I exclaim. She shakes her head. "Let's just say Ryan needed stronger means of restraint than words of persuasion to stop me from helping you." I smile. "Thanks, don't you have to go home though?" "Yeah, my mum will have a fit if I'm home late. I'll see you tomorrow, bye." See ya!" I went up to my room, ignoring Ryan. These things were delicate with him, so I went upstairs to work on my homework.

My life felt ordinary, and I never thought it would change. Until the next day...