𝖝. Deep Affliction

Start from the beginning

"Can you help me please?" the girl ushered out, looking behind her nervously.

"Of course," Marisol answered without hesitation, "What happened? I thought you were with Niklaus."

"I was, but...Marisol I heard him talking. He doesn't want to marry me, I am just his ticket to freedom," Katerina said and Marisol frowned, prompting her to explain more, "Oh, Marisol, I heard him with Elijah and – well, I hope you'll believe me – but he said there was a curse on him and my blood with break it. He said that he's a hybrid – a vampire and werewolf – and I knew then that I had to leave."

Marisol looked at her, "He's a vampire? The Mikaelsons...they're vampires?"

She dreaded the answer, knowing that if it was true, that if the Mikaelsons – if Elijah – were vampires, then everything they had wasn't true. Vampires and werewolves despised each other, and if Elijah knew that she was a werewolf, which he would probably be able to smell, then nothing that occurred between them was real. He did not truly love her, and she was nothing more than a thing to play with before slaughter. How did she not notice before?

Oh, because she was blinded by him. Blinded by his charm, by his smile, by his eyes, by his kindness. She could not see his faults, his vampire side, because she simply did not want to. She wanted to believe that he truly loved her, but it seemed now that he never did. That it was all a lie.

Katerina nodded. "Yes, and Niklaus said that he – that his werewolf side has been suppressed somehow by magic, which means witches surely, and that my blood – my death – will unlock that side. Oh, Marisol, I hope you believe me. I need to get away."

Marisol's face became clear as she placed the pieces together. The Original Hybrid in Niklaus' story was him. He was a werewolf and vampire at the same time, but a witch cursed him to suppress that side, and the death of a vampire, werewolf, and blood of a doppelganger – Katerina – would unleash that side.

No, she was not just a play toy for Elijah; she was probably the werewolf in this ritual. Her death and Katerina's would set Niklaus free.

"I believe you, Katerina, because I am a werewolf," Marisol admitted to her and Katerina began to back away from her, "Don't be frightened, please, I am not here to hurt you. Let me help, we can get away together."

Katerina nodded and moved towards her again when the door to her house slammed open. Both women cowered back in fear, Marisol going to protect Magnus, seeing Trevor with eyes trained on Katerina. He breathed out her name and came forward, "Come with me, I know somewhere you'll be safe."

"How can I trust you?" Katerina demanded, "You were close with him. You could be taking me to him."

"Katerina, I love you," Trevor declared, "I would never let him hurt you. Come with me, please, I can protect you more than her."

He looked at Marisol, and though she knew that it was true, she was still offended by the statement. She could not protect Katerina, she could barely protect herself when it wasn't the full moon. There was no magic in her bones anymore either, it was just her and a magical toddler.

Katerina gulped, looking to Marisol, who nodded. "Go with him," she told her friend, "Let him help you."

"If you say so," Katerina looked at her before wrapping her arms around Marisol tightly, not wanting to let go, as the Bigora woman did the same. She squeezed her eyes shut, wanting to remember this feeling forever in case they never say each other again.

When they parted, Trevor tugged Katerina away from her, and in a blink of an eye, they were gone, leaving just the Bigoras. Marisol blinked before closing her door and rushing through the place getting everything together to leave that night. She could not stay there any longer, especially not now that she was sure Niklaus and Elijah wanted to sacrifice her and Katerina.