Chapter 2- What Just Happened?

Start from the beginning

The girls stood there, dumbfounded.

“I cannot believe he just kicked us out,” stated Cassidy.

“Oh believe it,” responded Kelsey as she and the others turned toward their SUV. “Andrew used to do that all the time when he had a surprise for someone.”

“Your birthday is coming up,” stated Jess matter of factly. “Maybe he’s getting something special.” Kelsey just shrugged and got into the driver’s seat.

Cassidy gave directions as she told them about the town. “Some of the main attractions around here are Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custor State Park, and the Mickelson. Keystone is just a few hours away, same with Rapid City, which gives us more places to visit. Turn left up here.”

She warned them, that since it’s the beginning of August, the Sturgis Rally was in town so the streets were going to be crowded with motorcycles and tourists. Most of the streets in Hill City were blocked off for just motorcycle entry. “Oh, there is this one store that I think you all will love. It has these fabulous shirts with fantastic designs. You can get whatever design you want on any color or style,” Cassidy said as they pulled into the empty parking lot of the only hotel in Hill City. They all climbed out and headed for Main Street.

Kelsey was amazed at what the small town held. The beauty of the surrounding landscape and hills were unlike anything she has ever seen. Tree covered hills could be seen wherever they turned; the bright blue sky shown down on them with no sign of ever dimming. The wind gave a small chill to the warm day. People walked along the sidewalk, going from one store to the other. The rumble of multiple engines could be heard throughout the small town as motorcycles drove by. Bikers drove down Main Street and parked their bikes in front of the stores. Men and women of all shapes, sizes, and color wore Harley Davidson leather jackets, chaps, and boots.

Kelsey was in heaven! The different styles of bikes and designs made her imagination go wild. She has always wondered if she ever got a bike, what would it look like. She looked around her, at the stores. The majority of them were made to look like a log cabin; others were so small that only three people could fit in them at a time. As they walked down the street, she looked through the windows at the inventory inside. One large clothing store caught her attention but when she made way to go in, Cassidy pulled her along.

“I thought we could start at the end and work our way back toward the car.”

When they reached the last store, Cassidy walked through first and the girls trailed in behind her. The store, “Western Layne,” seemed to be larger than some of the others around here. Western styled t-shirts and jeans for men and women were sorted out on the sides. The registers sat in the middle of the main aisle with glass cases full of belt buckles surrounding it. As they walked toward the back of the store, the girls could see boots decorating the walls and shelves.

“Amber!” Cassidy yelled once they reached the boots. “Amber, are you back there?”

Sage and Victoria ventured toward the women’s boots to see if they could find anything that interested them. Kelsey and Jessie walked over to the cowboy hats to try them on. Jessie held up a sparkling pink hat and posed for the camera. Kelsey laughed at how ridiculous she looked in pink. Sage found a pair of black boots that reached her mid-calf with a bright green design. They looked really good on her and she was definitely considering on purchasing them when she almost keeled over at the price.

“$106, are they serious?” she said as Tori came over with a pair of black and blue boots.

“I can believe it.” She held up the boots at eye level. “These are $86.”