When the Party's Over

Start from the beginning

"It's okay," you chuckled. "Is there anything left to drink or did you drink it all?"

"Hmmm there might just be one left for you," she grinned.

She grabbed you by the hand and guided you to the fridge where she pulled out a beer for you. One drink couldn't hurt. 

"Thanks. So did I miss anything?" 

You both hopped onto the nearest counter. 

"Yaoyoruzo made a little appearance a few minutes ago thanking everyone for coming and yada yada." Jiro pretended to fake snore and fall asleep. "But then she disappeared upstairs somewhere."

"Oh that's cool," you nodded. "So I missed nothing."

"Pretty much."

          The song suddenly switched to one with more tempo. Jiro got a spark in her eyes. She grabbed your hand and the two of you dashed to the dance floor. Other teens were gathered here and you looked around; noticing that Shinso wasn't anywhere in sight. Jiro went up to the DJ's booth and plugged her headphone jacks into his system. If the music was loud before, now it was blaring. It was so loud you couldn't even scream to Jiro to turn it down. Her eyes were just closed and she was waving her hands in the air as she danced. You began to weave your way through a group of people until a dark cloud caught your attention.

        You turned towards the grand staircase. The staircase you and your mom will never get to have. There you saw Shinso with his hands stuffed in the pocket of his black hoodie. Next to him was Yaoyoruzo. She wore a long, low cut red dress that hugged her curves nicely. Her hair was let down from its usual ponytail too. Your eyes narrowed down at the way her hands tugged on the bottom of her dress, readjusting it and smoothing out wrinkles that had appeared. 

The whole room seemed to spin. You and Shinso locked eyes but he pretended not to see you. Instead, he put his hand on Yaoyoruzo's lowerback and guided her down the steps to prevent her from falling. She nervously looked up at him and smiled; the corner of her mouth smudged with lipstick. She was clearly tipsy. That you could tell as she almost fell when she got off the final step but Shinso managed to catch her in time. 

The music suddenly went back to its original loud volume which now felt like a relief to your ears. Jiro had been kicked out from the DJ's booth as other guests came complaining about a headahce. She stumbled next to you and wrapped her arms around your waist. 

"Oh!" she hiccuped. "There's Shinso. Why don't you go say hiii?"

"It looks like he's with someone," you said just quiet enough for only her to hear. 

Her eyes squinted down at Yaoyoruzo. "What? Her?" she slurred. "Who cares? Just go say hi. Aren't you guys friends?"

           Before you could protest any further, Jiro was already pushing through the crowd of dancers towards Shinso. She was stronger than you thought she was because every time you tried to stop her, she pushed you twice as hard. In no time you were a few feet away from him. And her. 

"Look this doesn't seem like a good time..." you whined. "He's busy and I'll just see him another time."

"That asshole did something didn't he?"

"W-What?" you stammered. 

"Well he must've if you're acting this way," Jiro scowled.

You sighed in disbelief. "Okay, fuck, I'll go say hi. Stay here."

             Jiro nodded as she watched you go over to Shinso. Every step towards him felt like a step you needed to take in the opposite direction. Yaoyoruzo had thankfully stepped out and went to the bathroom with a friend. At least you didn't have to make small talk with her. Shinso didn't exactly look at you until you were actually in front of him.