22. A Storm is Brewing

Start from the beginning

It was Saturday. I was planning to go to the library to study for my finals, but I couldn't do that now. I felt very anxious. 

Embezzlement.

A frightening word.

I have seen rich-looking men on TV bound up in ropes, and dressed in prison wear. I know they go to prison if they are found guilty. 

My blood ran cold at the thought.

I would just wait for you to text me.

I waited all morning.

10 am. 

I received a text.

On the train.

12.00 pm. 

I'm at the train station. Mum's here. Talk to you later.

12.40 pm.

At home. Talking to parents.

I waited. I kept waiting and waiting. I couldn't hear a sound from next door. It was quiet.

4.00 pm.

The phone beeps.

I'm coming over.

I ran down the stairs. My parents were out. They would be back late at night. It was grocery-shopping night. They'd buy dinner for me.

Ding dong

I opened the door.

Your eyes were black pools of bleakness.

Without a word, you stepped forward, and hauled me to you.

Your arms locked around me in a stranglehold.

"Don't say a word," you rasped. "Not a word."

"I need to forget, just for a moment." Your arms were tight, desperate around me. "Let me bury myself in you, let me drown myself in you. Just for a while. Please." Your words were no louder than a whisper. "A brief respite, that's all I ask. To forget. To escape. With you."

I kissed you, uncaring if anyone saw.

You slammed the door shut behind you, and swooped me up into your arms. You climbed up the stairs with me, my arms twined around your neck. You carried me into my room, kicked the door shut, stretched out your fingers and locked it, the whole time keeping your arms around me. 

And then we were on the bed, kissing urgently, with a kind of despairing hunger. You paused for a moment to reach into your pocket, and I saw the shiny little packet of rubber. We tore off each other's clothes, and you slipped on the condom.

You pressed your face to mine, and kissed me slowly, thoroughly, until we were crawling back toward the headboard. You got behind me, pulling me against you. My smallness sank right into the crook of your body.

How well we fitted together, how perfectly, like two halves of a jigsaw puzzle.

You kissed me all over. Halfway through I started crying because I loved you so much, I missed you so much, and I was so worried about you, your dad, your mum,  and you kissed the salty tears off my face, and held me still for a moment, pressed against your thundering heart. 

"Hush," you whispered. "It's okay..."

You kissed your way over my right shoulder, down to my elbow. You turned over my forearm, touching the faint crescent scar I got from a fall when I was little, and pressed your mouth to the thin skin of my wrist. I trailed my lips alone the lines of your palm, the downy hair on the back of your spine, the delicate pink of your fingernails.

You raked my hair away from my face. I fluttered and trembled with your touch, and you flexed your hand over my chest. Your fingers left damp spots on my skin. 

And then you were in me, and I melted into your strength and your hardness; and I drowned in your beauty, and lost myself in the wonder of you.

I moved involuntarily, and you paused at once, and I saw the worry in your eyes. Are you okay? Your eyes asked wordlessly. Did I hurt you?

I shook my head. No, it's okay, I love you. You could never hurt me. I love you. I love you.

You went faster, harder, deeper, and I felt every ridge, every vein, every inch of you, from my toes to my fingertips, and I rode the crest with you, and arched my back, and I knew, as I have always known, that I belonged to this, to you, to us. 

"I love you, Mina," and your voice was an aching whisper, one with my breath, a sigh trembling between our lips. "I love you. I love you. I love you."

You peeled and tossed aside the rubber and scanned me with anxious eyes.

"Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"I'm okay," I say. "I'm fine."

My bottom lip trembled, and my ears blurred with my tears.

"What is it?" You held me tight. "What is it?"

I put my arms around you and burrowed into the crook of your neck. 

"I..." I whispered. "Nothing. Nothing."

For I felt it, the lengthening shadow, the way the room suddenly darkened, and the chill wind that blew through our entwined bodies.

I could see the sky from where we lay, clasped in each other's arms, our bodies slick with sweat.

The sun had been blotted out, and the day was dull and gray. Dark clouds loomed in the distance.

A storm was brewing.

Soon it would be upon us.