Unwelcome Peasant

"Mom, I'm going for a walk!" i yelled as i ran down the stairs to the front door.

"Be back by the time the street lights come on" she yelled from the kitchen

I walked out the door and took out my iPod and turned on 'Up All Night' by One Direction. Yes i was a fan but not some crazy stalker fan. Yeah they are all cute but would never go for a girl like me. My name is Molly. I'm not like most girls. I'm not afraid to get down and dirty in the mud. And im not afraid to speak my mind. Which usually is what killed most of my friendships.

Its been about a week and a half since they found a cure for cancer. Everyone has been crazy about it. I remember over hearing conversations at the mall about how the medicine changed people, but i wasn't quite sure what they meant about 'changed'.

I'd been walking for about ten minutes and was finally at my destination. Its an old tree house i found one day when i was like seven. Its on top of a hill and you can see the whole city! But still stay very hidden at the same time. I climbed up the rope ladder and went inside. I liked the fact that i could pull up the rope ladder and no one could get up there. It made me feel safe.

My thoughts were interrupted when little pebbles kept hitting the little window on the side of the tree house. I walked over to the window and saw my younger sister Madison at the base of the tree.

"Why do you want peasant?" i yelled

"Why do you call me that Molly?"

"Because your you're younger than me and I am up here ad your down there! " i replied with a smirk.

"First off, I'm 16 and your only 2 years older. Secondly, dinners done."

"I'm not hungry, now leave me and my thoughts alone." i walked away from the window and sat on the fold-able chair that i had put up there last summer.

"Me either. Can i at least come up there? " she asked.

I didn't answer. I just pulled up the hatch on the floor of the tree house and threw down the rope. She climbed up and by the time she closed the hatch and picked up the rope she was out of breath.

"You really need to get more in shape." I said with a laugh. All she did was turn towards me and gave me a dirty look.

"So...," Maddie (short for Madison) started. "What do you even do up here?" she said looking around the tree house

"Stuff." i said, not knowing myself what i ment by 'stuff'

"Cool." was all she said.

She got up and walked over to the window that showed the whole city.

Suddenly there were light screams coming from the distance.

"What was that?" she asked obviously freaked out.

"What was what?"

"Those screams. You didn't hear them?" she turned to me

"No wh--" before i could finish i heard them. Loud blood curdling screams in the distance. I,now on my feet, went over to the window my sister was at. That's when i saw them. Zombies.