you finally made your way to your brother's room, determined to see what a bunch of thirteen-year-old kids are trying to hide. despite being a very polite girl on your daily basis, you really wasn't one with your brother and you opened the door abruptly, not knocking, also as you knew if you did knock, they would have time to make up something. after entering the room and hearing a "oh shit!" from, probably, bob, one of the three friends your brother have, you saw your brother with a black eye and danny, his roommate, applying some powder over it. your eyes were wide open.

"what... happened?" you asked shocked. you were almost frozen at the door frame.

your brother wasn't one to be fighting, he just got a little bit of attitude but knew better to not use against others if not you or his friends, as he muscles don't help him at all. but exactly for being tiny and quite antisocial, older boys would be often bullying him.

"what else? billy kruel happened, of course! he was picking on me and i remembered you telling me to stand up for myself so i did, okay? please don't tell mom i will be embarrassed..." your brother spoke and you sighed.

"he told kruel to suck, you know..." danny explained.

"i'm never doing that again." your brother said hugging a pillow.

"oh god..." you muttered throwing your head backward.

you do remember telling this to your brother right when he was ranting about people making fun of him but you gave him a piece of advice you don't even follow. the thing you've always most struggle with your whole life was to stand up for yourself, you can have everything perfectly planned inside of your head but when the moment comes, you frozen, not because you're the wrong one but because you despise any form of conflict, you always got nervous and panicked. fighting, verbally or physically... it wasn't of your nature, not even when it was extremely necessary. you've gotten yourself in plenty awful situations because of it, and you don't even get bullied as your brother do, you also just got the same attitude but couldn't handle it when things got real bad, so you really didn't want your brother to go through it too and worse, but apparently it wasn't the smartest idea. you should have told him to take some boxing classes first if things are gonna be this wild.

"did you cleaned it?" you asked sitting beside him and getting close to his face to examine it, didn't seemed that bad, but recent. he nodded and you were glad, if don't, you didn't know how you could help him, you got no first aid kit or specific medicines for this.

"and what is this?" you indicated to the powder on danny's hand.

"makeup. powder... we borrow it from a girl in our class." danny explained shyly and you nodded.

"if you want to cover it up, a foundation will do better. i have some in my room." you said softly, sad for seeing your brother hurt and he smiled at you.

"you got pain killers, just in case?" you asked.

"i have!" danny answered quickly and you relaxed, your worries slowly going away, you backed away, leaning on the wall.

"we gotta tell someone." you said after a while.

"no way!" edward, the last one of the boys exclaimed. "people will talk! evolving adults... if he can't stand up for himself, that's it. he needs to be a man." he continued with a high pitched voice. he was certainly your least favorite one of the friends your brother got.

"oh, please, edward!" you said. "this is unbelievable. no one should get away of punching someone inside of welton because of... man pride." you scoffed the last part.

"you say that because you're a girl." edward said.

"i agree with her..." danny said and you smiled at him.