ᴠɪɪɪ | ᴀ ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴇɴᴅ ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ

Start from the beginning

     Incessant rain tapped against the wooden windowpane, stirring the inhabitants of the room out of their lazing slumber.

     Caterina's form laid spread over the cushions, lace of her dainty nighty carelessly hiked up above her hipbone. Eyes closed, she let the smoke of her cigarette dance above her head

     "Don't smoke on my fuckin' bedsheets."

     A cheeky smile slowly spread over her lips. Purposefully, she exhaled the poisonous coils and snuggled deeper into the coarse linen of the bedding.

     "I'll buy some new fuckin' sheets." She popped open her eye, glancing over to the slender woman sitting at the adjacent desk. One hand propped under her chin, she glared at Cat over a steaming cup of tea.

      "You do know, I pay you to fuck me, not criticize me."

     "It's a special service you get for our friendship."

     It was John's rage fueled threat that snapped her back to present.

     "Right, I want it known if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back down into their hearts." He seethed at his family members, sick of the way they spoke about one person that finally seemed to care about him, about his feelings.

     "Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me." Polly sighed in exasperation, turning to Cat for support. "John, Lizzie Stark never did a day's work vertical."

     "She's changed." Silly boy, no she hasn't.

     "All right." Arthur turned his attention back at the beer in his hand.

     "People change. Like wi-wi-with religion." It was a losing battle from his side. No amount of convincing would soften the hearts of his family.

     "Oh, Lizzie Stark has got religion, eh?" Thomas poked at him from his place leaning on the wall.

     "No, no, she doesn't have religion. But, well, she loves me." John turned to his brother, pleadingly.

     "Now, listen, Tommy. I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world. I want you to see it...as brave."

     Oh, the noble heart of John Shelby. Martha would talk about him hours on end, when the four of them stayed the nights awake, swapping stories of their boys out there in the cold, damp trenches and tents. It felt like a lifetime ago.

     One day she was there, laughing and cooking for the lot of them, children clinging to her leg. And then, all at once, she was gone and four children remained behind, motherless.

     "It's brave all right." Muttered Arthur, taking a swig of his beer.

     "Brave is going where no man has gone before." Polly started, barely containing a straight face.

     "Or woman." Caterina added, albeit quietly.

     "With Lizzy Stark, John, that is really not what you'll be doing."

     "Listen, Tommy." John ignored his aunt's protests, turning to the one man who's opinion mattered the most.

     "Welcome her to the family. As someone who's had a hard life. All right? Because, I need someone. All right, the kids need someone."

     "Listen, John, I said I can watch the kids when Finn comes over, no problemo. This is just-"

     Without warning, the youngest Shelby crashed into the snug, red faced and panting. "Tommy! We've been done over!