Discarded morality

Start from the beginning

“Why did you want me to know all of this?” I finally asked, deciding not to beat around the bush.

“Because no supplication from anyone so far has gotten us as much help as you’ve been able to provide. Our gods are failing us.” Aerona bluntly replied. “We need you. There is something about these attacking forces that are just a complete abomination to all, and that says a lot coming from me.”

“You’re not the only Realm getting attacked.” I finally admitted, remembering what Cassie was able to explain to me. “These monsters are appearing in the Mortal World as well, though there they bring plague instead of death. A lot of people have died there as well, and very little is known about how to stop the spread of illness. I suspect that Underhill and the Higher Plane are likewise under attack, no doubt one is dealing with famine and the other war.” As I spoke it out the details made sense to me. There had to be a reason that humanity had so many stories of apocalypse, that the four horsemen that brought doom were the perfect counter to each of the Realms. Death for the undying Demon hoard, Pestilence for the Humans who have so much life, War for the Angels who are stronger united, and famine for the lands of Underhill where many will fall to dust. It was a little poetic. “All of us are under attack, and if I am useful here then it goes to suggest that others need me just as much as you seem to.” I was chasing an idea down, not really able to think it out now that the words were coming. “I think all the Realms need a truce, find a way to come together to meet each attack as a unified strength. If I was more effective at killing your monsters, you might be more effective at killing the monsters attacking the Elves. You should extend an offer of aid, pool your resources. It sounds insane but necessity is the mother of invention, and this might be the best chance any of us have.”

I could see Aerona actually thinking about it too, which was almost as much of a shock as it was to hear me suggest a truce in the first place. The Realms were willing to operate with each other insofar as it benefited their own baseline, but this level of truce would be a lot more unifying. “I’ll think on it, talk it over with my brother.” It was better than I could have expected, and I felt an almost thrill of excitement. If there was even a sliver of a chance at getting out of here peacefully, I may have just found the way to do so. “I need to clear of my head of all this stress. Between the attacks on my people and the demands my brother have made on me for your edification, I need to be the dark thing I am. And you’re joining me tonight.” That sounded far more ominous than I wanted to endure but even as I considered objecting, I could feel the collar around my neck. So it became a question of surviving the lesser of two evils; the sister’s violence prone insanity, or the brother’s twisted intimacy. “It won’t be bad, I promise. You’re just going to see how Demons let loose at night; you won’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.” Aerona seemed to have sensed my hesitation.

I missed my old life suddenly; dancing at Faerie Tales with Cassie and Barry, Alex’s orange eyes sparkling with amusement as I once again call him an over bearing ass, even Edward’s laughter as Cass and I attempted to outdo each other on some silly little task. All of it hit me at once and my heart ached so badly I thought I’d black out, fighting to stuff it all away again. I was going to go crazy and lose everything if I kept thinking about my past and my future; I had to live in the moment if I expected to survive. If I ever wanted to see them again, I had to do what was necessary. “What is it exactly that you’re taking me into?”

“Hopefully nothing you won’t enjoy. Let’s go get you into a better outfit for it though; time to put our best foot forward my friend.” Aerona’s nearly chipper attitude was making me feel uneasy, but I didn’t argue as she hooked her arm through mine and marched back into the Castle as if we truly were gal pals.

I ended up in a body hugging dress that was sparkly and yet only a few shades off my own skin colour, so from a little distance I looks spectacularly nude. It wasn’t uncomfortable, though I wondered if the dress was an indication of the night I was about to endure; not quite what it seemed but not necessarily in a bad way. Aerona’s outfit was a dark plum coloured leather cat suit that had no place on a body of a twelve year old, and she wore it like I used to wear my leather pants; all swagger. Sadly enough it seemed almost conservative compared to some of the outfits I spotted as Aerona led me back out towards the Hall of the Gods amongst a crowd of Demonkin.