The Runner (Part 1)

I'm just one girl, one thirteen-year-old girl, that loves to run. I run in hallways and get caught, so what? Do I care if I get a detention? Hell no! What if running can save a life? I bet it can. It's a good thing I'm a fast runner or I'm going to be in huge trouble if I get caught. I can speak and see the dead. Hang on... did you miss the begining? Well then, too bad I won't tell it to you... okay I will. My name is Paige Somers.

Last Thursday (or was it Friday?) I was watching the news of my enemy's murder. Did I care? Well, sort of, kind of? No.Margie is, or was, such a b****. I won't say it... okay I will. SHE'SA BITCH!

My mother gasped and dropped the glass bowl of chocolate pudding. Mom isn't a good cook (I had to tell you that). She sat down next to me. I left the room and went to do my homework that was due today.

The car ride to school was quiet. Mom gripped the steering wheel until her knuckles were white. She asked me a question when we were parked in the school parking lot. "What did you say when they questioned you?" Huh?

"I said I didn't do it and I answered all their questions." She opened the car door and shoos me out. Rachel, Alice, and Joey (Joey is a girl!) run up to me and start asking all these questions. I caught only one: "Did you really murder Margie?"

"What? I didn't were would you get a question like that?"

"One of Margie's friends told the investigators that you wanted to kill her," Alice said.

Okay, I did say that but not literally. I would never hurt her (except a few bites, punches, slaps, etc. every time she gone too far). "I didn't mean that literally!"

Since I'm in eighth grade, I have P.E. first hour (some other eighth graders have second or third hour). It's not the best way to start the day but at least I get it over with.

In P.E. Rachel and Alice were babbling to me. "I heard they are going to put you to sleep because you murdered her!" I look at her and the volley ball hits my head. Ouch.

"I didn't kill her!" I snap.

"But you're accused of killing her!" Rachel said, "Didn't you watch the news?"

I opened my mouth to say something but the bell covered my words. Everyone runs into the locker rooms to get dressed. "Somers, stay!" the P.E. teacher calls. Not... good. The coach absolutely adored Margie and... really who watches the news? She slaps me and I run into the locker room. I get dressed and walk, I mean run,to my next hour. Everyone started running up to me and asking all these questions.

Son of a bitch! Why am I getting all these questions? I ran out of the school and all the way home.

Quickly but silently, I gather all my things up and run away. I left this note for my mom:

Mom, no one will listen to me. I swear that I didn't murder Margie. Don't you know that? I swear I didn't kill her but no one will listen. I've ran away and by the time you get this, I'll be half way to my destination. I don't want to go to juvie. I just want you to know that I love you- Paige

I wanted to give her one last hug but she wouldn't let me go. I can't even see her face when I tell her (which I didn't).

Margie's funeral was the next day. Believe it or not, I went. Of course I went in disguise. She laid in her casket. I saw her, her ghost. Don't make eye contact. I leaned in close to her dead body and whispered, "I didn't kill you."

"I know you didn't!" Margie's ghost yelled. I jumped and looked at her. "Can you see me?"